Dutch Bantam hatching

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Naomi82, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Naomi82

Naomi82 New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    I have been incubating dutch bantam eggs. Yesterday I woke up to 2 eggs pipped (small air holes). One has hatched and the other has zipped halfway around but it's not been 30 hours since I noticed the pip. I have not seen any progress to the shell in the last 5 to 6 hours now. I also see no movement any longer. Do I step in at this point and assist?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! 30 hours from initial pip and no progress after 5-6 hours of zipping I would go ahead and finish the zip to see what's going off in there. Zipping usually takes an hour so it being as long as yours it sounds as if the chick has gotten into difficulty. Here is an article to check out on assisted hatching ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck :fl

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Please give us an update on how your hatch is going. Hope all turns out well!

4. Naomi82

Naomi82 New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    The chick had died. It appeared the the inside mucous membrane had dried out. I have a second egg that did that overnight as well. I'm not sure why. The humidity level is high enough and the temp is stable at 99.5

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry it didn't go well. You might want to check in with the members over on the incubating & hatching forum to see if anyone there can offer some ideas for a better hatch next time.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I'm sorry to hear your chick did not make it :hugs
    Did you manage to get the second one out?

Is your hygrometer giving you a correct reading of your humidity %? I would double check it just incase you think it is showing higher than it actually is.
    Did you open your incubator a lot during lockdown?

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry you lost two chicks -hatching can be problematic at times even for the most experienced chicken folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by