Dutch bantam question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dainironfoot, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    Hi guys! I am considering getting a small dutch bantam flock and was wondering what you guys could tell me about their behavior. They look incredible but I want a breed that is very approachable and tame. Thanx in advance,

-Tony

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    oops

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm new to the breed myself, having just acquired 2 roos and 3 hens about 3 months ago, but I can tell you that I've never seen friendlier chickens! Whenever I go into their run they demand attention, and if one of them feels slighted, it will fly up to my arm or my shoulder and trill for attention. One hen is so friendly that I even take her into the house to watch t.v. with me (much to my husband's chagrin [​IMG] ). She thoroughly enjoys sharing popcorn (plain, of course) and having her own little bowl of water beside us while we watch the latest NCIS (she thinks Gibbs ROCKS lol). Even the roos are very friendly and don't act rooish with each other at all. I can't say mine are representative of the breed, but if they are I would recommend them to anyone!

4. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I had 3 Dutch and all three were pretty skittish/flighty BUT they were raised in a pen situation and were adults when I got them, so that may mean absolutely nothing. I also have 2 OE Bantams that are AWESOME. Tame as anything!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  5. Rach123

Rach123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    ^ i agree they are lovely little birds I have 3 dutch bantam hens and Roo they are all super tame, they fly on my shoulders, eat out my hands and love getting a bath (i show them!). I only started with them around 9 months ago and they were a great first bird! I got them just before point of lay. One of my hens went broody at 6months old, just after they'd started laying and sat the whole 21 days and i now have 3 little chicks! Love them to bits!

6. DAFNVA

DAFNVA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Franklin VA
    My Coop
    These little guys are a really nice small breed, i have had them now just about two years. i find that when moma raises them they are not so tame until they get older and get to know you. However when i hatch them in the incubator they always come out to be very tame. like above i have some that come running out to greet me and a couple of the cockerels jump up in the lap - even crow in my hand or if perched on arm.

dale

Dale Coop of Dutch Bantams
    http://www.dalescoop.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by