Dutch Bantams or OEGB?

BeckyLa

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
N. Louisiana
Which make better pets? I have some oegb but they are not friendly. Are Dutch calmer and easier to handle?
Hmmmm.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I've heard the exact opposite! Lol. I've had multitudes of both, and I personally prefer OEGB. Dutch I've found are more flighty and harder to tame down. OE are almost as flighty, but I find that even a primary can tame down an old english w/out much fuss. I in fact refuse to own dutch any more, but am wanting to establish a bbr oegb flock of my own. Good luck!

-Sarah

Hmmm. Sounds like I should stay with the oegb. Maybe it has to do with bloodline. I tried hatching their chicks and hand raising them, a lot of handling and a lot of special treats, and as they grew they were handleable. But as soon as they were mature they are just as flighty as their parents. Grrrr. But it sounds like I wouldn't be gaining anything to switch breeds. Thanks everybody for your input!! Y'all rock!!

When I was a kid we had an OEGB and he chased every human he could catch up too...except me. He LOVED me
699227oo1opjfuw6.gif
He also lived to be 14!

Last edited:
smile.png

I have to chime in for the Dutch. We bought a pair of cream light brown Dutch pullets for my two kids to show in 4H. The judge's criticism of them was like no other I'd ever encountered. They were so tame and calm that when they were placed in the show cages for the judge to examine, they just sat there calmly, refused to walk around or puff up and show themselves. They were way too tame, unafraid of motion or loud noise (we tried shooing and clapping hands to wake them up). Now they just serve as pets and ambassadors to visitors who have never held a chicken, etc. These two little ladies would be perfect to take to a nursing home or a kindergarten class (if they didn't poop). They now range freely at our place, and follow us around as we feed our animals. They like being picked up, petted, and rewarded with a small bit of bread. Either way you decide to go, the more you handle the birds the tamer they get.

Best wishes,
Yardegg

I have to vote for the dutch I have a Black Dutch banty hen and roo and they are great - the hen is very very calm and loving and the roo is such a funny little guy - he never stays in his yard he always jumps the fence and walks around the front yard he is up in the tree and he has even made it up on the house a few times - I would not give them up for anything. they are my Bonnie and Clyde LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom