Dutch Handles First Hawk Attack..No Losses

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by speckledhen, Sep 24, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

DH and I are sitting eating an early supper. Suddenly, I hear an explosion of screams (first from Dutch), cackles, and crashing, and jump up and run to the open door, just in time to see a hawk swoop up from the brush where all my chickens have burst from and are running toward the house. Dutch led them under the deck and some ran for the coop and underneath it, as well. We do a scratch call and count; apparently they are all accounted for, at least I think so. This was Dutch's very first actual rooster duty, other than fertilizing eggs and he handled it perfectly. We haven't had a hawk attack in ages and ages, but now with migrating birds, could be more frequent, I guess.
    I'm not sure what kind of hawk, it happened so fast. It was a large one with a long multi-banded tail, probably a Cooper's Hawk or whatever type is similar to that.

2. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    WAY TO GO DUTCH!!!!! [​IMG]

3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Wow - Quite the experience.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by "scratch call and count"?

4. speckledhen

We keep a big can of scratch grains and shake it when we want the flock to come back from wherever they've been ranging. They all come to the sound of the scratch can, even the youngsters. Then we do a head count of the birds...and now, that's not easy with 40-something birds in the laying flock.

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    That's a GREAT idea, Cynthia! I'm going to start implementing that idea tonight!

6. speckledhen

It takes some training if they aren't used to it. Shake the can, call "here, chick, chick" or whatever you like, then throw scratch from the can in view of the birds. They'll catch on.

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Wow Cyn that boy deserves a shovel full of worms. Glad to hear that you think they are all fine. Hang in there.

8. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Good Job Dutch! Glad everyone was safe! [​IMG] What a good Roo!

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Good for Dutch! I've been lucky enough when the hawks come to call that Pudster is out there, I think Blue and the other Roos could handle it, but no one messes with Pudster's birds!

10. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I am so glad they are safe. We had a hawk swoop down in the yard on Saturday, they all ran back into the coops.
    Its very scary because it only takes a second.
    I know what you mean by trying to count 40, mine will come over to me for bananas though, thats how I round mine up to count.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by