Dutch Hookbills

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by morgan85, Jan 10, 2017.

1. morgan85

morgan85 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Does anyone or has anyone on here have any experience with Dutch Hookbill ducks? I am interested in them but it is hard to find information. Can they fly over a 4 ft. Fence? Temperament? Any info would be appreciated. I

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @morgan85 Have you seen this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1076814/duck-breed-focus-hook-bill

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. morgan85

Apr 26, 2015
    Yes @misslydia. Thank you. I have seen a lot of the different threads but I know a lot are older. Wasn't sure if there was anyone with more recent experiences. It sounds like people really end up liking them so I will probably go for it anyhow [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Funny I read through that link and found you posted at the end.

I love the Hook Bills I am pretty sure the Runners which I have had to have them in their blood line with the bills the Runners have.

I hope you find some and enjoy them. Please let us know if you do.

5. SFDucks

SFDucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    I've never seen any of my Hookbills go more than a few inches off the ground. I don't think my pen fence is even 4' and they've never got close to the top, maybe not even half way. That being said, the food and water is in the pen so I don't think any of them have ever really tried to get out, just fluttering about when they get excited. The one duck we did keep is the most focused in our flock. She is always foraging or searching around the yard. We've had periods where she was really noisy. It's just one duck, I wouldn't base any breed judgements on just one.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You have Hookbills @SFDucks Please post pics so we can drool. I think they are just the neatest ducks..

7. SFDucks

SFDucks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @SFDucks They are beautiful. [​IMG]

9. Table4Six

Table4Six Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    Metzer Farms is now selling hookbills if anyone is interested. I am getting a female in an order of ducklings near the beginning of March.

1 person likes this.
  10. morgan85

Apr 26, 2015
    @sfducks thanks for the information. I did also see that metzer is offering the hookbills now. I think I may order from them since they can sex them. I am thinking 4 female hookbills and 2 Welsh Harlequins may be in my future. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by