Dutch May Be Rehomed....Very Sad About This (Long Story) [Update]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Nov 1, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Dutch, Zane's younger brother, looks just like his sire, Hawkeye, without the battle scars that his dad had from a previous hard life. Hawkeye was a complete gentleman and would never have hurt me in any way, shape or form. We had quite a bond. When we lost him, I was thrilled to have Zane. Zane became crippled from an accident almost immediately after his dad's death and we were happy to have Dutch coming along then. I'm very sentimental about Hawkeye and Dutch has his best physical qualities. At 8 weeks old, little Dutchie started running over to bite my hand when I picked up one of his little coop-mate girls, testing his boundaries. We'd scoop him up and hold his beak and very quickly, he decided it wasn't worth it and became an exemplary rooster.

When we realized there were too many girls for one rooster, we kept Dutch and Zane's baby brother, Mace, but Dutch refused to share. They were always bloody and scabby and the girls were picking at the scabs and they always looked bad. We took Dutch out and put him in the little Firetower coop. When we rehomed Mace and some girls with lockedhearts, we put Dutch back in with his girls every morning and took him out every night so he couldn't be picked at on the roost by the girls. All I had to say was, "Dutchie, come here" and he'd walk up and allow me to pick him up! He was always very good natured, loved to eat out of my hand, etc.

One day, as usual, I took Dutch back to the Firetower pen (his comb was healing, but wasn't quite there yet). My DH sometimes would take him and sometimes, I would take him. This day, as soon as I sat him down in the pen, he whirled around and bit me hard on the hand. I was stunned, to say the least. He hadn't bitten me since he was 8 weeks old and by then, he was almost a year and a half old, not the time a rooster becomes aggressive--that usually happens about the time they begin mating the ladies and the hormones are raging.

I told my DH, who apparently was not on Dutch's hit list. Later, even after he was back with the girls permanently (within a few days of the bite), he began rushing me. He didn't hit or flog, but he'd run at me, then as I turned, he'd stop. He did it very infrequently, but I was nervous and on guard. Eventually, he quit. Well, lately, he's started up again. The other day, he bumped me from behind with his chest while I was walking the girls back to their pen in the evening. The latest time was this morning as I was walking out to the coops and he was freeranging. He walked up to me and looked at the empty jar I was carrying out to fill it with chick starter. I held it for him to see that I had no goodies and continued walking. As I went past him, he whirled around and hit my leg, just at the moment I turned back to him; he slid in the wet leaves and hit me, whether he intended to or not.

I am very saddened by this because he looks like my precious Hawkeye come back to life, but his actions are purely his own now. After breaking my ankle this year sliding on wet leaves in the winter, I do NOT want a repeat of that. If he manages to sneak up and hit me and I lose my balance, I shudder to think what might happen. So, with deep regret, I may have to rehome my Dutch. The girls would be without a rooster for the first time since before we got Hawkeye a few years ago. For some reason, Dutch feels I'm public enemy #1 and I do not keep human-aggressive roosters, though he may never do this to another human being. It's a grudge he's developed against me from the time I had to separate him from his girls. Can't swear he won't ever do it to anyone else, but so far, it's just me, and stems from that specific time period that he in which he was very unhappy and unsettled.

I write this to show that there are all types of reasons for a rooster to become aggressive. This is a slightly unusual case, I think. What is in their little minds is a mystery and though we don't want to anthromorphize them too much, I am positive why this began, just not sure why me and not my DH. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] I am sure someone would want Dutch! After all he is one handsome rooster. I, too, can not have an aggressive rooster in my flock or around my DD and nor do I tolerate it.

I dont blame you one bit about rehoming Dutch! [​IMG] After all, you are doing the right thing, your health and well being is paramount!

3. speckledhen

I would not normally rehome any rooster who has shown human aggression, but so far, it's directed at me for a specific reason and since it started at well over a year old, I don't think this is your usual rooster aggression. I could be wrong and certainly, if he became unruly at a new home, I would expect them to do what they needed to do with him.

I so wish Zane hadn't become crippled. He's a complete angel, even affectionate toward me, puts his face against my cheek, etc. Here are some pictures of Dutch at various stages of his life. He's getting over a molt now, or I'd take new pics of him. He's just a utility type BR rooster, but he's Hawkeye's son and that made him special to me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well if you are seriously wanting more of Zane's offspring, you still can AI his girls. I am sure You Tube have some sections of doing it. Might be worth a shot.

Or backtrack and find the owners who had bought some of your BR hatching eggs and see if you can get some eggs from them.

5. speckledhen

Robin, I'm not going to try to AI Zane. Dutch's type was better than Zane's or Mace's and I need a big bodied rooster to continue. That is Dutch's strong suit, his broad, deep body. If Zane had not gotten hurt, he would have been flock rooster, but he did and I decided Dutch was the better flock rooster for breeding.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry Cyn. [​IMG]

You gotta wonder what makes their little brains tick the way they do.

[​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Before he goes, do you think you can collect Dutch x BR girls eggs? That is if they are laying. Then you can find your next batch of Dutch's offspring and hopefully a better tempered guy!

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That was exactly my thoughts! Maybe you could try for another Hawkeye Jr. Cyn.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I know her BR are downright goreous and I love the way Dutch looked and the barring pattern is so elegant and well defined. It is NOT the BR I am used to seeing in local fairs of hatchery breeding. So Dutch would be the one that can be used for serious BR breeders.

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Cyn,
    I am so sorry to hear this but would like to offer this solution. If you would like, how about trading him for RuPaul? Not sure if that is where you are going and I know how you feel about adding to your flock. I just hate to see you give up and not have a nice rooster. I planned on having 2 separate BR flocks anyway and was keeping Ru for that purpose, it appears I also have another juvie that is a dark rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by