Dutch Roos only 12 wks Old But Fighting Over Hen Please Help...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bantam Username, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Today we had a lovely sunny day and my young roos suddenly started going crazy pulling each others feathers and mounting the pullet. I had to shut one roo in the coop and felt so sorry for the pullet being pulled around by her neck while the biggest roo tried to mount her. She squawked constantly trying to get away from him. They are all just under 12 weeks old and I'm waiting for the roos to be picked up by the people who wanted them. Isn't this a little early for all this to be kicking off, and am I going to have to remove one roo now? I was hoping I had a few weeks more before this situation arose as I have nowhere to put the other roo and the coop is far too small to section a bit off. [​IMG]

2. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd take out one or both boys. Put them in a crate or some other confined space.

Do you have any other girls to keep the lone pullet company?

4. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Quote:Would it work keeping the boys together and removing the pullet? I have 3 seven week olds I could put the girl with.

5. keesmom

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:That will work fine. Just make sure she gets along with the little ones okay.

6. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    The little ones are a 7wk Sebright roo who's bigger than her, a 7 wk Sebright pullet who is the same size as her and a 6 wk D'anver roo who is half her size, so hopefully intros will go ok. Fingers crossed, as this is the group she was originally meant to end up with when the Dutch roos were homed anyhow. [​IMG]
    Should I put them together now at dusk or wait til tomorrow now?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  7. keesmom

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'd go ahead and do it now. I think she'll be much happier! Just watch them for a bit to see that they're getting along okay, but I think they're young enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

8. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks, will do. [​IMG]

9. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH BLASTED ROOS!!!!! The 7 week Sebright roo started doing exactly the same when I put her in, he started dragging her by her head feathers and also started dragging the 7 wk pullet by her head feathers too. What is with my stupid roos!!!??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

THey're just "being roos!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by