DW needs help! Are animal rescues a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sir Birdaholic, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

DW works with a guy that wants to argue his beliefs all of the time. One of his arguments that gets under my DW's skin [​IMG] is the fact that he says anyone working in the animal rescue fields are wasting their time because "ANIMALS HAVE NO SOUL" She tries to ignore him, but he is persistant. He looks down on her because we have 7 dogs, 3 mini horses, & 2 cockatiels, all rescued animals. Any suggestions as to how to shut him up, besides my way? [​IMG] I'm not wanting any religious arguments, so I'm asking the moderators to shut it down at the first sign of this post straying off track.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can't control other people. And people can't argue with you unless you argue back. Simple solution. Dont converse with him about that subject.

3. Sir Birdaholic

When he talks, it's hard to NOT hear him.How can she NOT hear him?
    The only thing she's ever told him is that we didn't rescue our animals to save their life, but rather, to end the suffering they were having to go through.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It is a waste of time to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Clearly he is just doing it to get your wife upset. He's looking to draw her into an argument.

Next time she can look at him pityingly and say, "I am so sorry for you." And walk away.

How sad and pitiful his life must be that he needs to try to get some one started over something like this. Pity . [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    She can hear him, but if she doesnt engage in the conversation, unless he wants to talk to himself, it will be over with. Your wife can control her actions, she can't control his.

6. Sir Birdaholic

No, you don't get it. she Doesn't fuel his conversation. He just brings it up over & over again & she's TIRED of hearing his diahrea of the mouth.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

As there are always folks with differing beliefs and values where one works, its futile to argue with them. After all, you have to work there and you don't want to dread it.

As for shutting this person up? Unless he is following her around and inflicting his views upon her without provocation, I would just ignore him. If he is harassing her about it, she should either explain that she doesn't wish to discuss this with him and, if he persists, speak to her boss about it.

I'm wondering if she is discussing her work with animal rescue at work and~ feeling passionately about it~ just doesn't like to hear when someone feels otherwise? Or she speaks of it frequently and this coworker is tired of hearing about it and uses this method to shut HER up?

Either way, she can just elect not to open discussion about her animal rescue at work and, if he does, she can decline to engage in this discussion. It usually takes two people to argue.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

It is a waste of time to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Clearly he is just doing it to get your wife upset. He's looking to draw her into an argument.

Next time she can look at him pityingly and say, "I am so sorry for you." And walk away.

How sad and pitiful his life must be that he needs to try to get some one started over something like this. Pity . [​IMG]

x2...​

9. Ferrret

Ferrret Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Michigan
    If he is always bringing it up she could have a case for harassment. She should go to a human resources person, or at least a higher up and state that this man is bothering her constantly with a non work related issue. He could be affecting her work performance, her stress levels and causing unnecessary grief, stress and hostility in the work environment.

Giving him no answer is the best. If he persists, stay quiet and walk away. She could give him a curt response of "I don't much care for that you think", "Please keep your opinions to yourself" or "Please stop forcing your personal views onto me". Contacting a higher up to step in will likely have a better chance of getting him to back off.

If he pursues her outside of work, she could get a retraining order based on constant verbal harassment. If he has bothered other people at work besides her, she can gather a group to make a complaint about him.

10. Sir Birdaholic

I like your answer Ferrret. DW is quite reserved, maybe even shy. She wouldn't dare say anything to upset anyone though. If he harasses her outside of work, then it's my turn to end the harassment in a very unpleasant way, but I try very hard to let her deal with her work affairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by