Dwarf Adult Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Breezy Optimist, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Breezy Optimist

Breezy Optimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I have a 6 week old Button Quail, female.

She is the size of a 3 week old chick! I know she is 6 weeks old, as i hatched her myself.

She hasn't grown since she was 3 weeks old, although she does have all her feathers. She does get tired very easily, and breathes a little heavy. But other than that she is eating, drinking, pooping and running around as normal.

We tried putting her in the aviary with her brothers and sisters who are giants compared to her, but she collapsed after 2 days, so we scooped her up and brought her indoors where she's been happily living with a batch of new babies. But now they are the same size as her and are due to go outside in our aviary soon. She's not coping very well outdoors, and seems to need the heat lamp?

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

All i can find online are stories of smaller chicks that have died because they were small. But i've not seen anything about an adult that has survived but is still the size of a 3 week old chick?

She's obviously not fit for outdoors, and i'm not someone that would kill or cull an animal simply because it's different.

If it means i need to make her an indoor quail and set up something for her then i will. But if she needs company i don't know what to do because she seems to get exhausted when there are other quails in there with her?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this post x

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
  3. Breezy Optimist

Breezy Optimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for answering :) I'm just looking at that thread now. Thanks so much for linking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by