Dwarf Chick???? *Pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Apr 29, 2009.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a BCM chick that is much, much smaller than its hatch mates, and doesn't seem to be growing or feathering out hardly at all. I've included pictures of a normal sized hatch mate for comparison.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it a Dwarf or some growth hormone definciency?

Normal Size Chick, same hatch
    [​IMG]

"Dwarf" Chick
    [​IMG]

"Dwarf" Chick, showing baldness
    [​IMG]

Together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are only about 3 inches apart in this shot.
    [​IMG]

So anyone have a clue?

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone else seen this before? Will the chick eventually catch up? Should I make sure I don't breed him/her?

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Happend to me too before. THis is dum-dum my little cochin-oegb. THis is him with a cochin from the same hatch. He had also parts of his skull missing.He looked a bad imitation of a ostrich with feathers missing. Eventually he feathered out and actully started looking good. Even moved outside, but then at five or so month old i found him dead in the yard.

[​IMG]

He looked even worse at some point.
    [​IMG]

5. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    I can't answer why but I also have one in my batch of 8 wk barred rocks. She is a bit bigger than my 4 wk old mixed barreds but a lot smaller than her "hatch mates". She is perfectly healthy and seems to get along with everyone. She is fully feathered now also. I wondered if the hatchery could've somehow gotten a bantam in with the regular ones...doubt it but just a thought.

Jen

6. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I have one too- same situation.. I posted on another thread about him. He seems healthy- its so weird! Mine are already bantams, so I know that he isn't just a bantam chick.

7. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Here is a picture of my Cuckoo Maran Chicks, they are 2 weeks old, look at the difference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you see the one underneath the other one, they are playing hide -n-seek

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think I may have hatched a dwarf to... I hatched out several of a BYCers standard eggs and the little one was the last to hatch. It's smaller than my bantam babies lol.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I hatched one that came out of a small egg we didn't think would hatch and it was just a little over one inch tall. It's at it's new home and totall;y caught up with the others!!!!

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Look at it's feet. Do they look normal or do they look dwarfed? I have a dwarf Barred Rock, he has really short legs and when you look at it's feet, it's toes are small and stubby, like a small person's fingers look.

Midgie
    [​IMG]

Midgie's Hatchmate
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by