1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dwarf chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crayon, Aug 9, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    So, I got a batch of chicks 3 weeks ago from Meyers Hatchery. One of my partridge rocks is so small (aka: LittleBiggie). She looks like a week old chick with the feathers of a 3 week old. They hang on the ground. She eats a ton, drinks a ton, is over all happy and runs all over. She seems to be healthy in all ways except she doesn't look like she is growing in body size.

Is it possible that she could be a dwarf? She can walk right under the others now.

Thanks~

LittleBiggie by herself:
    [​IMG]

LittleBiggie with one of her sisters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    PICS we need pics!

3. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    It is dark here, but we went out and got some pics of LittleBiggie- I posted them in the PO.

Thanks!!!

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    bantam? I remember I had STANDARD chicks that didn't grow so much...so yeah I guess maybe a dward lol

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    She may just be a slow grower. Sometimes chicks will grow slower than the others and then grow all at once (some people say that the smallest ones are roosters). Or she/he may be a dwarf...

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

You can tell she eats plenty--in that first picture her crop is packed full. She looks healthy, so she might be a dwarf. I got 31 chicks from Meyer three weeks ago and the only ones growing slow are the four buff orpingtons, but they are all equally smaller compared to the other breeds, speckled sussex and barred rocks. My SS are the largest, then the barred rocks and the BOs are still pretty small.

7. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    What kind of birds are these? Are they suppose to be bantam or large Fowl. Just a long shot but, maybe they accidentally give you a bantam mixed in with LF of the same kind of birds. Just a thought you know if it is a kind of bird that everyone looks the same. Like Orpingtons all look the same but, if they put you in LF and Bantam Orpingtons together they would all look the same but, different sizes. I am sure there are lots of different birds that would be like this.

8. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    This spring, I had one chick that didn't grow as quickly as the others, fell way behind. She had a lot of issues with pasty butt. Once she got a little older and quit pasting up, she finally caught back up with her sisters and now I can't even tell them apart.

9. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Quote:I thought the same thing - but my husband is certain that it could not be a bantam- He says there is no way they could have mixed it up if they grabbed 5 other chicks of standard size from the same section. The bantams should not have been near the LF ones. They are Partridge Rocks.

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I thought the same thing - but my husband is certain that it could not be a bantam- He says there is no way they could have mixed it up if they grabbed 5 other chicks of standard size from the same section. The bantams should not have been near the LF ones. They are Partridge Rocks.

yeah and bantams are actually smaller when chicks than the standard ones...so I say it's a dwarf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by