Dwarf chicken?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ciaran6, Aug 26, 2016.

1. ciaran6

ciaran6 Just Hatched

Jul 27, 2016
    NH
    I have a chick that has remained the same size since about 3-4 weeks of age. The 3 other chicks that are younger grew way faster and passed this one in size. I thought it was sick but it seems fine- eats, drinks, socializes, and roosts in the evening. Any ideas??? I love this little chick and want to do all I can to help it grow.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the chick in question and along side the others as well for comparison?
    Do you know what breed it is supposed to be?
    Where did they come from?

3. ciaran6

ciaran6 Just Hatched

Jul 27, 2016
    NH
    [​IMG]
    The top two are the chick I'm talking about. I will have to get a better comparison pic. This chick is 1/4 of the size of the others that were born 2-3 weeks after.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] Love that crest! So cute.

She may be a bantam. If she is eating, drinking, pooping and doing normal chickeny things, the I think she will be fine.
    I feel like she is just a smaller breed than the others.

But someone else may have a better idea.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/04/frizzle-feathered-chickens-divas-of.html

5. ciaran6

ciaran6 Just Hatched

Jul 27, 2016
    NH
    They are bantam/frizzle chicks and they all looked the same when they were really young. She is way smaller than the others. I hatched 4 chicks in June and July.

6. ciaran6

ciaran6 Just Hatched

Jul 27, 2016
    NH
    [​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She's a tiny thing for sure[​IMG]

She doesn't look quite like the others. I'm don't know much about the Frizzles and Ornamental breeds, but the larger one in the lower left hand corner looks like it could have some Polish and possibly be a boy. The other in the bottom with the Polish looking one looks like it may be a boy too.
    She may be more bantam frizzle than the others.

You can ask on the "What Breed Or Gender Is This" forum, those folks do a remarkable job on identification.

Your birds are adorable and look to me to be healthy from what I can see in the photos.

8. ciaran6

ciaran6 Just Hatched

Jul 27, 2016
    NH
    They do have polish in them- guess I have mutts for chicks!!!

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Wouldn't matter to me, Mutts can turn out be very special.
    As long as you are happy with them and they are healthy, that is all that matters. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by