1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dwarf Cot?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bigdtc, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Bigdtc

Bigdtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    I have a (very) little Cot chick that is less then half the size of the others. This chick was the last born of 52 and is feathering out at nearly the same rate as the other normal sized ones. He is no more then 3 days younger then the oldest from this hatch...
    He eats and drinks fine, gets along with the other normal sized mates. This hatch is 2.5 weeks now and nearly fully feathered. They are Jumbo variety, except the little guy I guess.. Has anyone seen this before in Jumbo's or standard Cots? He' s pretty friendly from being handled often and I m might just pass him along to a co-workers kid for a pet..

2. Bigdtc

Dec 9, 2011
    Here is a normal one.. actually, a good many are a little larger then this one...
    [​IMG]

Here is the little guy...
    [​IMG]

Here his is with his hatch mates....
    [​IMG]

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    everyonce in a while you get a danny devito...

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    btw, looking good Big!

5. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    I get this. Most hatches. They usually die. Before they go outside.

But. After 2/3 month or so you wouldn't tell

I wasn't sure if I should cull them as weak. But I'm guessing they are just runts. Bullied to the back at food time lol so I let them be. Nature selects the weak for me

I find the texans are worse for this.

I've kept then back in the brooder for about 3 extra weeks.

6. Bigdtc

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks!.. I'm going to weight them this weekend when I get a minute.. I'll post when I do.

Well, he seems healthy and my feeder allows plenty of room so he eats and gets plenty to drink as well.. Sometimes when I put treats in there he'll just run under the other's legs to get his.. It's pretty funny to watch... If he stays small, that's fine. I'll give him to my buddy's lil' girl for a pet... She'll love it.
    I never thought about a runt sized bird but if he is strong enough to make it then I'll let him be. I found one of the others dead this morning. It looked weak last night and there are no signs of injury.. He kept his eyes closed when I picked him up and seemed to have labored breathing and generally weak. I put him back under the heat lamp.. Just one of those things, I guess..

7. Bigdtc

Dec 9, 2011
    @ Moby.... Here they are at 17 days.. Most are in the 120.5 - 124 gram range. I have a few standouts that are 126.2 - 132.5 gram range...Also a couple in the 118.0 gram range..
    And the reason for this thread.. the dwarf at 30 grams..lol. He is still healthy.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Oh, and I need a bigger scale.. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    nice, #3 looks like he could pull a wagon. keep it up Bigs.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    A couple days in hatch can make a bird look much runt like looking than others. In every batch of eggs people hatch, there will be a runt, those normally grow up to be as large as the others or end up getting culled. I would let it grow out until maturity before making your decision because you never know if you have a sumo wrestler on your hands.

10. Bigdtc

Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah, I will not cull him. He's healthy and because he gets handled a lot, he is pretty mellow. He might just make a nice pet for a kid... He is 1 - 1.5 day younger then his hatch mates and about 1/3 their weight..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by