Dwarf hamster is lost!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Abriana, May 24, 2019.

1. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    I fed my two Robotovski dwarf hamsters this morning and left the cage open by mistake. I feel like such a dummy!! I found one of them but one is still missing. I found instructions online as to how to make a trap for them and it is set by my fridge which is where I found the first one. I have food and seeds for her there too (all food is in one location by and in the trap). Has this ever happened to anyone? How did you find your hamster?? I’m really worried about her! Hopefully she’ll come out tonight and I’ll get her.

2. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    We didn't find it for months they're so tiny! One day, months later, we opened a shoe box in the closet and she had made a little nest in there! We even had a cat or two inside, she was a little survivor. :)

3. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    Following. I hope you find it!

4. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Oh no! How did she survive out there? I mean, food and water wise?

5. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    We have no idea. We think that their instincts take over like a mouse. We thought she definitely had to have died but she was fatter than ever! ;)

6. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    This makes me feel a bit better, at least. I figure she’ll come to the kitchen because that’s where the food is. If the homemade trap doesn’t work then I will buy one.

7. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    I found my lost hamster in the couch cushions.

8. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    BTDT!

She'd get out, usually by means of a small child, and we'd struggle to catch her for weeks at a time.

It was typical to be watching late night TV and catch sight of her zipping across the living room.
    Definitely caused a few friends to choke on popcorn.

I did eventually find her preferred nest, where I could go fetch her from when she got out. It was in a pile of Terry cloth towel cuts inside my sewing cabinet.

9. janiedoe

janiedoe Songster

May 7, 2017
    East Texas
    My daughter had a white rat that she dearly loved. She had company and the rat, Roxanne was running free. Someone left the front door open and the rat escaped. She looked everywhere for two days. On day three her neighbor called and told her Roxanne was scratching on her front door. :)
    Keep the faith.

10. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I hope you find her!

BirdsBeesTrees, janiedoe and Abriana like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: