Dwarf Pygmy goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by btaylor2003, Dec 10, 2012.

1. btaylor2003

btaylor2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    I have two goats that are suppose to be pregnant. I posted this once already but I am new at this and someone told me I posted at the wrong spot and to try here. We bought them about four months ago and the guy we bought them from assured us they were pregnant. They looked pregnant then and still did up until a few days ago. Actually so much so that we have been going out several times a day to check for babies. They are getting bigger bellys, their faces even look like they are bigger(if that's even possible?) and they are bagging down more and more each day and their utters are getting bigger as well. Friday we went out at separate times and that evening we both started questioning if they either one were pregnant. Then we bought a new younger female on Sunday and brought her home. Now our older two possibly pregnant goats are acting odd? They are sniffing the younger one and sort of acting like a billy would with one who is on heat? I know what this means with cows and other animals, but not goats? Could this mean they aren't pregnant? Please help!!

2. Je33ieg

Je33ieg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    Hard to say if they truly are pregnant, but it would actually make more sense of their actions towards your new goat if they are pregnant. If they are pregnant, they could be fearful that the new goat will, in some way, harm their babies when the time comes and it is making them distressed. They could also be showing the newbie who runs the show.

Good luck.

3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    hi, i m new here, and actually not from the states (or wherever this forum is), but have raised goats for about 10 years/// never add new animals to two other animals if u are also new to it all... however,

nannies are very possessive and will injure intruders. as far as your pygmies are concerned, two is company, three's a crowd at the moment. sounds like if they are bagging up u should start getting them used to being in a stall, handled around their udder (dont milk now, but u can handle), and since this is winter (im assuming u are somewhere where there is winter), prepare a draft free, clean, area for kidding/ make sure u have somewhere warm for the kids if the mothers dont 'kick in' right away as mothers for their babies, keep the other nanny away from the two that have to give birth- but visisble to all (goats are social creatures, but three is often a problematic number).i.e. let her watch but not be in the same stall
    .. and remember that goats like company when giving birth (from their goat friends and humans), but strange goats will interfere and cause stress... after the kidding, u can release the mothers and their kids with the newer goat, but make sure everyone is eating properly , and watch that the two seniors arent bullying the new one, or the moms arent so protective that they spend more time chasing the newbie away then they do with their kids. eventually everything will even out (or not, that happens also)/ make sure u feed the new mothers their food additions, separately, as the newbie doesnt need the same nutrition as the mothers do.

and good luck.

4. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    forgot to add, goats are pregnant for about 145 days +-... so 4 months and bagging up sounds possible ... you;ll know for sure when they start 'talking' to their babies (in utero) a day or so before givng birth, most likely an hour after u give up your birth watch and go to sleep :)) ...

5. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012
    Yeah we took the new one out today and now the older two are just standing at the gate screaming! Lol! I have had goats before, but from babies and I knew their ways befor ether got pregnant. Their sides have went from being round on the sides, to a hollow look and being more round low? Does that make any sense? We have them in a smaller pen, and they can get in out of the cold completely, and we even have a heat lamp in there but up high so they can't hit it with their horns. The last few days one of them has been making new sounds? One of her new sounds you can hear and it sounds a lot like a kid screaming but she doesn't open her mouth when she does it? I didn't know what it was at first and watches and listened real close and figured out it was her. Then her other sound almost sounds like a dog growling? Its a real deep sound? So odd? I have never seen anything like these two? I have all kinds of animals and have had all kinds of pregnant mommas and never had anything like these two? I am so confused!

6. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    is she in labour? /// u should feel the spasms , different from her rumen working....

the growly sounds could be her talking to her babies... kind of a low whickering sound , is she looking at her sides often?

anyhow, good luck,

7. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012
    No babies yet, but there is for sure a baby in there. Her stomach is very firm and yesterday I was out in her shed sitting in my chair and just watching her and yes she keep reaching her head down touch her sides and lower belly. How long can they be in labor?

8. nok13

Dec 8, 2012
    like us, they can have contractions for a while before they really go 'into labour'... if she is making those whickering little sounds, and getting up and laying down, and pawing at her bedding, u can be sure she is close.... often their bellies drop and they get like hollows on their sides of their pelvises but hard to see unless u really know your goat's body shape previously.

her vulva will swell, she may, possibly, go off her feed, but make sure that if she goes off her feed, she is still actiing like a normal, pregant, goat, and not a sick goat .... (like standing in corner, depressed. or laying and not getting up when u come in the stall, or for a tasty treat (cheerios comes to mind, and , in israel, we have a peanut hting like a cheese doodle that almost every normal animal including babies, luuuuvs.... its a great animal enticer)....

and btw, some goats, while giving birth, really yelll.
    also, its very very rare that a goat needs intervention to go in to active labour, more likely intervention is needed fi there are twins or triplets tangled up , or butt first babies (like in humans) , 10 years and i never had a goat go more then a week past her estimated due date (buck breeding, not straws, so the dates are always a bit off)...fi they go passed their date, and the fetus is dead, then she would be in distress physically speaking, and/or u would see discharge, coloured, smelly.... or ill goat behavior, fever, etc... but there is a lways a first time for everything....
    and if its a fake prenancy, then she would go up to her due date, and then suddenly the behavior should just fade away as well as the physical symptoms of pregnancy. ( i had a boxer ***** that was an expert at immaculate conception and then give birth to socks)>

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    This is a real interesting topic. I am planning to purchase 2 Nigerian pigmy this spring. Please do post when the baby arrives! [​IMG]

10. btaylor2003

Dec 8, 2012
    My oldest is in labor!! WhooHoo!! Going to get my bunch sent to work and school and then go out there with her!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by