Dwarf/Runt Button Quail Chick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TaliDarky, Mar 17, 2015.

1. TaliDarky

TaliDarky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Okay, so my Hen hatched 4 chicks a couple of weeks ago, and this morning I went out to feed them. Today I just noticed that one of the chicks is smaller than the others, and looks like he has just sprouted wing feathers.

I know it's not a late hatch because there were 4 chicks, there are still 4 chicks, and all other eggs I removed.
    Is this common?
    [​IMG]

The smaller is in the front.

[​IMG]

When he is next to his/her sibling, you can see the size difference. And wing feathers

2. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    No, that chick is not eating enough. Delayed growth.

3. TaliDarky

Oct 7, 2014
    Ok okay. They are all getting food. Not as much bugs as they use to though since it's been so dry here. Maybe lack of insects, as they get seed and greens a bit.

4. TaliDarky

Oct 7, 2014

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. ducky 13

ducky 13 Chillin' With My Peeps

And probably not getting enough vitamins and nutrients because, of not eating enough

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I hope you are feeding your birds more then seeds and veggies. They need high protein food. I understand they eat insects but they still need more when in a cage and they cannot locate enough other food to get the proper amounts. Now that said I think the size difference is due to the fact that the chicks are 4 days different in growth in the egg before hatching so one will be smaller. He should catch up within 6 weeks. Good luck and you must have happy adults to hatch their own eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by