Dwarf Sussex? do they exist?

RoyalHillsLLC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
NW Louisiana-Vivian
I responded to an ad by a member on another site for a free rooster that has been hand raised and needs a good home. They told me it's a Speckled Sussex. I picked up and brought it home and wow it's tiny. They said it's ten weeks old and it fits easily in the palms of both hands. he seems perfectly healthy, and exactly what they said he is, except I am concerned about the size.
Is it possible he is a dwarf or something? Can a bird this small bred standard breed chickens? Or is it some sort of bantam Sussex and is just a small breed?
He is fully feathered and has age-appropriate development as far as I can tell (I have raised about 30 or 40 birds so guessing). I just can't get over how little he is and if he will ever be accepted into the pecking order with the hens and ducks.

OK. Looks like I just have a bad memory. Since you are reading this, too, I guess you told me it was a bantam and I forgot. But, boy he is a tiny little bugger. Hopefully he will enjoy his new playmates and they will accept him soon.

can anyone sex a silkies,i have 2 ten week old,and can too many mealworms harm young chickens

what i meant to say can anyone tell the difference between a male and a hen at about 10 weeks old (SILKIES)

sidgieem:
welcome-byc.gif
Silkies are extremely hard to tell the difference between male or female. Usually one must wait until one crows or lays an egg.
wink.png

its just that im new to having chickens and they ate all young app 12weeks and a little spoilt i buy a large bag of mealworms for the birds and hens,and i just heard that too much protein in early egg laying can cause problems,if so i need some advice,obviulsly mine are not layng but they are our pets and i would hate to think that im doing more harm than good

Back
Top Bottom