Dwarfism or bantam?

shakin_the_trees

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
I have a baby chick that is 6 days old. She isn't growing as fast as the other ones. The first night she wasn't eating or drinking, but I was able to nurse her back to health with watered down yogurt. Now she has been fine, regular part of the pack, and eating and drinking normally. But she hasn't even grown wing feathers like the other ones, or tail feathers. I was thinking I either have a bantam, or a dwarf. How common is it to randomly get a bantam from a farm store coming from a hatchery? How common is dwarfism? Or could it be something else?

23A8A389-F37E-4C95-8B10-AD5812B569C2.jpeg
6B65410F-0D58-4041-8664-0A907D3AFEFA.jpeg
I was able to get a butt shot here. She has literally no tail feathers yet and her wing feathers are very slow growing . They are 1 week and 2 days old today

View attachment 3422618View attachment 3422619I was able to get a butt shot here. She has literally no tail feathers yet and her wing feathers are very slow growing . They are 1 week and 2 days old today
I had a wyandotte whose feathering was behind my other chicks, but in that case I think it was because they were different breeds? Pretty sure I read that wyandottes tend to feather out sloooowwwwly. What breed is this chick (and the others)?

I had a wyandotte whose feathering was behind my other chicks, but in that case I think it was because they were different breeds? Pretty sure I read that wyandottes tend to feather out sloooowwwwly. What breed is this chick (and the others)?
I have 2 wyandottes, and one is feathering way faster than her, and then a buff orphington and 3 color pack.

Back
Top Bottom