Dye dots to identify chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Rae, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I'm thinking about using dots of dye to help me tell chicks (same breed, different breeding groups) apart. I found this natural food dye that I think might work. What do you think?

dye

I don't want to use bands until the chicks are a bit older (feathering out). I've tried putting bands on day olds and I've always been worried I'd break their legs when cutting them off or the bands don't stay on.

2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've used gel food dye on quail before. The liquid stuff I tried first just disappeared, but the gel seems to have staying power.

Redhead Rae likes this.
  3. Runt of the Flock

Runt of the Flock Chirping

Nov 22, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    was wondering the same thing. :pop

4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I actually found something that works better. Sharpies. I'm hatching batches of Cornish chicks every week and I want to be able to tell them apart at a glance. So, with my second hatch, I put black dots on the tops of their heads. I kinda laid the sharpie on its side and stroked the down in the direction it lays. I didn't want to get down to skin. Next batch, I'll use a different color. The only ones I won't use, are colors in the red/orange family.

5. Runt of the Flock

Runt of the Flock Chirping

Nov 22, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    ohhhh good idea i thought maybe the fumes would be a problem but if seems to work for you i'll try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: