Dye Job on Crested

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hobbley_Farm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    So my son and I were talking the other day. He wants to dye one of his White-crested Black Polish. I thought it would be funny and harmless if he did this with food coloring. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    You can't show them, and make sure it isnt an ugly color, and the dye is nontoxic and the chicken doesnt hate it and in some states its illegal.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't frankly think it's the hottest idea, but if he really has to do it, I'd stay away from red or pink. You do not want the chicken's coopmates to think his head has turned into, like, a big juicy tomato... [​IMG]

Pat

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    A pink crest would be sooooo neat!

5. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:your kidding...right?

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Illegal? Whatever it's not like police come searching for dyed chickens around everyones farms. Try using koolaid, I heard that works well for dying chickens.

7. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I think they were referring to colouring chicks for sale like they do at Easter.

I hardly think anyone would be prosecuted for dyeing their own chooks.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I used Kool Aide to dye my dog pink. I had a few too many and it seemed like the thing to do at the time! [​IMG]

Anyway, I just made it like a paste, and then let it sit for a bit and washed it off. The next morning, I got to wash wet dog smell out of my guest bathtub.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I know that dying baby chicks is illegal in CA. For the reason that people think they are cute and in a couple weeks its flying all over the house and then they are just thrown out. Rude and mean, but people do it all the time.

10. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I've seen dye available for dogs. It's non-toxic and semi-permanent. Who doesn't want a hot pink poodle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by