1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dyed easter chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Picco, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Ok, so I have seen these dyed chicks for a few years now at my local feed store and today I saw a video on CNN.com about it. The video was about this guy in Rhode Island who had his chicks conviscated by the SPCA because they are apparently illegal because of cruelty issues. I have learned of the dying method and I don't necessarily agree with it but I don't see it as being entierly cruel. I do see the problem of marketing them for easter gifts which are many times later abandoned or neglected.

I was just wondering what the rest of you guys thought about the issue?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I don't agree with it because I feel it makes the chicks look like a toy instead of a living thing that has needs.

3. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Yeah, this is been discussed in the SAVE A CHICK sticky. We've overall-ly agreed it was wrong. But, it's not neccisarily cruel. It doesn't hurt, and the only lasting effects it seems are pigmented feet and beaks.

I personally love the regular looking chicks twenty times more!

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I agree I think the natural chicks are just as cute and would never buy a dyed one... I was just wondering what every one thought about it. I think it was a bit radical that the guy had his chicks taken away, but I guess I don't know enough facts to take an offical position on the issue.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I agree with CarriBrown.
    The cruelty lies in the fact that they are not regarded as living creatures, but a whimsical entertainment, and the majority of the recipients of these animals are ignorant as to the care required for their keep.
    Given to young children, they suffer due to mishandling or plain neglect as the novelty wears off.
    Same goes for puppies that end up chained to trees for the rest of their lives. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think the chicks look disgusting. And a parent who will buy one for a kid for its entertainment, knowing that chick wont be cute for long and will be killed by his brat, should be brought up on animal cruelty charges. Why they dont see the disconnect between fertility symbols and what they think Easter is just makes me grind my teeth anyway, then to have chicks, ducks and bunnies die a cruel death at the hands of some brat makes my blood boil!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  7. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I agree 100% with Speckled Hen!

8. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    Speckled Hen must have ESP. She stated my opinion almost perfectly word for word. [​IMG]

9. djwingo

djwingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    hey i agree totally but i will admit i did dye my dog pink for easter a couple of years ago {i used koolaid} and he was cute!! yes he lmao poor dog he was my baby [​IMG]

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I've done the same thing (with KoolAide)!! Although I'd just had too much to drink... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by