Dyeing Easter Eggs...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I am SO looking forward to dyeing eggs with the nieces and nephews this year, and I am really wanting to bring some "farm fresh" eggs, and I thought that Silkie eggs would be fun since they've probably never seen a small egg before. Then I thought about Serama eggs and how amazed they'd be at those. So I have a friend helping me out with a dozen or so Serama eggs for Easter.

Other than the mini Serama egg, what is another interesting egg? Do quail eggs taste like chicken eggs? I thought about bringing them some speckled ones too...

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    This isn't so much a cool egg, as a natural way to dye them. Take some onion skins..yellow or red work best. Wrap the raw egg in the onion skin, cover with cheese cloth and tie it up with twine. Hard boil them, adding some vinegar to the water. The eggs turn out beautiful!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'm a step ahead of you... LOL I've been putting onion skins in a butter bucket and storing them for that reason! LOL I had read about it a couple months ago, but I can't remember where.

4. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how quail eggs tatse but they sure would be beautiful to dye--I get to dye some with my 2 year old this year and I can't wait either!!! I thought I might see how some green Araucana eggs would look all decorated up!! [​IMG]

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    quail eggs taste just like chicken eggs to me! and they are bite sized too!!!!

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    quail eggs taste better. [​IMG] the kid's will [​IMG] them cause they r kid sized too!!! i got 5 kid's and i love to color eggs with them. quail eggs never lasted in my house when we raised them always r downed long before chicken eggs.

ya wanna teach em a kool trick to. take a raw egg in shell and leave it in a jar/cup/baggie for a week of just plain white vinigar so it covers whole egg. the egg becomes rubber like they will love it. [​IMG] do it like a week before easter and show em what ya made when u go to color the others. and another small egg breed i can think of is my japs about the size of seramas if that might help too.

have fun!!
    silkie

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    That does NOT sound very tasty! My pigeon eggs are pretty darned cute!

8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    quail eggs are DELISH!
    when i get eggs for hatching shipped in i eat the cracked ones. and my gosh! MMMMMMMMM!

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:We're going to do some natural dyes this year too. You can also use...

beets, cranberries, radishes, raspberries, cranberry- or pickled-beet juice for RED or PINK
    grape juice, red cabbage, or equal parts beet juice and blueberry juice for PURPLE
    canned blueberries (with juice), red cabbage for BLUE
    spinach leaves for GREEN
    peels from Yellow Delicious apples for GOLD-GREEN
    turmeric, celery seed, cumin, curry powder, orange/lemon peels, carrot tops for YELLOW
    yellow onion skins for YELLOW-ORANGE
    strongly brewed coffee or tea for BROWN
    dill seeds for BROWN-GOLD
    chili powder for BROWN-ORANGE
    [​IMG]

(from "EGG-citing colors, Naturally!" by Janeen R. Adil, published in Cricket Magazine on april 2007)

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:We're going to do some natural dyes this year too. You can also use...

beets, cranberries, radishes, raspberries, cranberry- or pickled-beet juice for RED or PINK
    grape juice, red cabbage, or equal parts beet juice and blueberry juice for PURPLE
    canned blueberries (with juice), red cabbage for BLUE
    spinach leaves for GREEN
    peels from Yellow Delicious apples for GOLD-GREEN
    turmeric, celery seed, cumin, curry powder, orange/lemon peels, carrot tops for YELLOW
    yellow onion skins for YELLOW-ORANGE
    strongly brewed coffee or tea for BROWN
    dill seeds for BROWN-GOLD
    chili powder for BROWN-ORANGE
    [​IMG]

(from "EGG-citing colors, Naturally!" by Janeen R. Adil, published in Cricket Magazine on april 2007)

going to try some of these with my nephew this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by