Dyeing eggs for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bram, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    Does anyone know how I can dye eggs? Easter dye kits aren't in the store now, and besides I want Christmas red and green!!!

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You can make some with food coloring or you can use natural dyes -- beets, blueberries, etc. Either way, used on brown eggs, you'll get nice deep, dark colors.

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    When using food dye use white vinager to set the dye. Try finding gel dye as they are quite strong and lost a long time.

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Quote:1/2 cup boiling water, 30-40 drops food dye/coloring, and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Simple and you control the color you want!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    Frogdogtimestwo thanks for the recipe! Do I really have to boil the eggs first!!! I'd like to give these to neighbors for Christmas and I'm sure they'd rather have fresh eggs. Wouldn't you?

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:No reason I know of you can't dye raw eggs -- I'd just be sure to warn the recipient that they are raw -- many people would probably automatically associate dyed eggs with hardboiled, from years of Easter egg hunts.

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

You can also blow the eggs out, wash them out, let them dry (baking them in a warm oven at 250 for half an hour and then cooling them completely helps harden them a little), then painting them works, too.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
  9. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    I agree with Denninmi, most will assume they are hardboiled so just let the recipients know and you will be fine!

10. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    Quote:string 'em up and you'll have beautiful christmas tree ornaments [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by