Dyeing eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thekid, Jun 24, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard hatcheries around Easter dye their chicks somehow before they put them in the bator. How do they do this? Thankyou - Brian

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Some take a syringe and pop a hole in the egg, inject the embryo with dye, and seal it back up with wax.

3. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    The chicks will hatch colorful when you do this? That's crazy... I want one!! [​IMG]

4. thekid

is there any other ways or is there only one?

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dye them with koolaid after they hatch.

6. thekid

for the wax over a egg thing... How would you wax it over? Would you just take a candel and melt it on there or something? I really want to do this when I hatch something out haha

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You have a much better chance at the egg hatching if you don't do that and dye it with koolaid after it hatches.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:You have a much better chance at the egg hatching if you don't do that and dye it with koolaid after it hatches.

Actually hatch rate should be the same if done properly. You need to candle while injecting to be sure to get the needle in the correct place.

9. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:That's how I did mine. I always do mine over a candler and put a plaster/band aid over the hole. You will need a needle first to make the hole otherwise the syringes bend and snap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by