Dyeing the chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Horsefly, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Please nobody yell at me for posting this. I want to dye some of my chicks due to hatch next Friday. I have read that you can inject some vegetable based dye into the egg at 11-14 days incubation and the chicks will be colored. It doesn't harm the chicks in any way. I just want to do this for fun and have some cute colored chicks I don't plan on selling them or anything. They are a cross between a red sexlink rooster and a turkin hen, I'm hoping for colorful little naked neck babies [​IMG].
    Has anyone done this before? I found a couple websites about it and my biggest concern is poking the hole in the shell, I don't want to hurt the chick so how should I make sure the point doesn't go to far? Also I have been having trouble finding a vegetable dye. Would purple cabbage water work? (boil the cabbage water turns purple). Please only nice coments and any advice is welcome.

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    i have no clue but curious what others will say [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

You can drill the hole with a drill bit or needle being twisted between your fingers. no need to push hard. Regular food coloring from the grocery store is what you need, usually by the cake decorating stuff I believe.

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I've heard of kool-aid after the first week but never egg injections. I figure this would allow bacteria on the surface of the egg to enter, but I am quite possibly wrong... Maybe someone who knows will come along.[​IMG]

5. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have normal food coloring but it has artificial stuff in it (sucros,red 5, and yellow 6, etc.) from what I read it said to use a vegetable based food dye.

6. Horsefly

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:You put alcohol or iodine on the egg where you are going to puncture and only put a really tiny needle in just under the membrane. Then you close the hole with wax or a bit of bandaid sticky.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I haven't read the label on food coloring lately.

8. Momto3

Momto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Question, do they stay that color into adult hood? Or only when they are fuzzy butts?

9. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    When the feathers start coming in the color goes away. It is just dying the chick fuzz. I have read online somewhere how to do it. Never had the desire (or guts) to try it.

10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by