Dying 3 day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsHarrison73, Apr 9, 2016.

1. MrsHarrison73

MrsHarrison73 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    One of my chicks is in the process of dying, won't eat, won't drink, won't move, etc. I tried moving her around, putting her mouth in water, laying her directly in food... she just falls over. With that being said, other than put her in a separate part of the nursery...what do I do and what do I do with her when she passes?
    Sorry, new chick mama.
    Thanks guys

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Is she still alive? How long has she been like this? Any of the others showing signs of distress (temperature, illness, etc)?

3. MrsHarrison73

MrsHarrison73 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    No she died. [​IMG]the 35 others seem to be just fine! I kept checking on them and they were just about to settle in for the night.

4. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    There is something called failure to thrive. Actually, any species can have it. A newborn or newly hatched critter of any kind can have unseen problems, whether they are genetic or not, where they simply don't eat or drink correctly, slowly waste away, and seldom make it. It's sad, and unfortunate, and heartbreaking, but it's just something that happens. [​IMG] That sounds like the situation you had. There would have been nothing you could do to change things. [​IMG]

It's good that you came and asked, though, because sometimes new chicken owners don't know how to raise chicks properly, and they can learn what they were doing wrong in time to save everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by