Dying 45 day chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Derf112, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Derf112

Derf112 New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    I have 20, 45 day chicken that are three weeks old. Two nights ago someone was seen on the property where they stay. This morning two were found dead in there cage and the third died 30 minutes ago. The remaining chicken are acting as they are week. they are still eating and drinking water. Any idea what could be the cause of there sudden change in health. Including sudden deaths.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What type/breed of chicken are they? Are they on medicated feed? If not (and even possibly if they are), Coccidiosis would be one of my main guesses. That disease, which is actually a protozoan infection, is common in birds that are less than 7 months of age, and particularly common in 1-8 week old birds. If not Coccidiosis, since someone was seen on the property, I would suspect poisoning, too. Does anything strange seem to have been left around, put in the feed, or added to the water?

3. Derf112

Derf112 New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks for your kind response, here the breed are called Magnola chickens. as for poisoning that is what I'm thinking. All the chicken running around out side of the cage appear to be healthy. I will also contact the feed store and see what do they have in stock to treat this possible infection.

Once again times

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by