Dying babies

rynee914

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2020
Hello everyone.

we have 6 week old mixed breed babies. Last weekend, one became very lethargic and then passed on the next day. No other symptoms. Now, yesterday, another one of our babies is doing the same thing. This morning it appears that he/she may not make it. Any ideas??

Pictures are of where they stay, and last one is of baby just laying there with eyes shut. moves very slowly if at all.
baby chick2.jpg
baby chick.jpg

What does her poop look like?
What are you feeding?
Is her crop empty in the morning?

At that age, I would be inclined to think Coccidiosis. You can find Corid in the cattle section of Tractor Supply.
Liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Give to all your chicks.

In the meantime, I would get the chick hydrated. You can give her plain or water with electrolytes vitamins until you can get the Corid.

Once I see the poop and/or get more info, I may change my mind.

And do not give vitamins at the same time as the Corid. Wait until after the medication is done. Also check very closely under wings and around the vent for tiny red specks that may be mites.

Back
Top Bottom