Dying baby chicks - clueless

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pr78sb, Oct 18, 2016.

1. pr78sb

pr78sb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    So I bought some baby chicks from our local feed store and about a week later they were all died. When I would leave in the morning they were active - eating, drinking and moving around. When I got home they one would be died, then the next day another one and so on. They would be lying there twitching like they were having a seizure. Does anyone know what this could be? I have had chickens for about a year but this is a first for me.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Based on the symptoms you describe, there are a number of possibilities as to what might have happened. More information would be helpful. Could the brooder have been too hot? What kind of bedding did they have? What were they fed? Did you notice anything strange about their poop?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. pr78sb

pr78sb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    I had them in a bird cage with plenty of room so the could get out of the heat. I had a thin layer of pine shavings and I feed them medicated chick food. I don't think it is the food as I also have some other chicks that get feed the same food and they are fine.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pictures of your brooder setup?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by