Dying birds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer Johnny, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Farmer Johnny

Farmer Johnny New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Anybody see visceral gout? Is there a cure? Can I still eat my eggs? I've had three girls die in the last two weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please warn readers that you are posting very graphic photos. Some folks are very sensitive to seeing them. Have you shown those photos to a vet?

4. Farmer Johnny

Farmer Johnny New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    I have. Our prognosis was the same. We're just baffled how it could have happened. Sorry the images are so graphic. I care a lot about my birds and I've lost 4 in two weeks.

It must have been the oyster shell. I tossed three, maybe four hand's full out, twice this past week and they ate it all. It was oyster shell I gathered off the beach and crushed myself. Could phosphorus come from feeding them too much scratch? I seriously spoil and pamper my birds. I might feed them scratch 2 - 4 times daily, spread out in the garden. They are in an extremely clean environment. I heat the hen house with an inferred light and there is a halogen that warms the outside coop. They always have food and clean water (It froze once, but I knocked it out). There is no feces on their perches, nor in their outside coop. I keep a lot of wood chips on the ground outside and straw on the inside to absorb that, and I change it out once a week.

I'm just stumped and that is where I feel bad.

[​IMG]

5. Farmer Johnny

Farmer Johnny New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    I have. We had the same prognosis and we're both baffled on how it could have happened....

It must have been the oyster shell I gave them. I tossed three, maybe four hand's full out twice this past week and they ate it all. It was oyster shell I gathered off the beach and crushed myself. Could Phosphorus come from feeding them too much scratch? I seriously spoil and pamper my birds. I might feed them scratch 2 - 4 times daily, spread out in the garden. They are in an extremely clean environment. I heat the hen house with an inferred light and there is a halogen that warms the outside coop. They always have food and clean water (It froze once, but I knocked it out). There is no feces on their perches, nor in their outside coop. I keep a lot of wood chips on the ground outside and straw on the inside to absorb that, and I change it out once a week.

I'm just stumped and that is where I feel bad.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard. Sorry you have lost some your birds. Hopefully the folks in the ER sections can give you some ideas. Best of luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry your having a problem, hopefully someone over on the emergencies forum can help you out.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by