Dying Chick? Dead? Help!

Try not to worry too much! Lots of people get shipped chicks and everything is fine. How many and what kinds are you getting? (Chicks are like crack to me and I'm not above secondhand chick enjoyment! :oops::jumpy)
We have 8 hatching may 28th. My daughter is getting 2 buff Brahma's, 2 blue Andalusian. I have one silver lace cochin, one blue splash Maran, one welsummer and a surprise chick!

Sad as it is, some are weak and have problems that can’t be fixed. I had one like that and she passed away about a week after I brought her home. Some just aren’t meant to make it and it’s nobody’s fault if it passes. I’m so sorry you lost her :hugs

Some things that you'll want to do and look for. First, provide electrolytes in their water for the first 3 days. Second, make sure each and every chick is eating and drinking when they arrive. Third make sure that the brooder is not too hot or cold. Brooding with a MHP or a brooder plate is far superior to a heat lamp.
I also recommend leaving lights on 24/7 for three days so the chicks can eat enough to gain strength and recover from the shipping stress.
Watch for pasty butt and for chicks just standing in front of or staying under the heat source. They will need extra support immediately in the form of poultry nutri drench or equivalent. Saturate a q-tip PND and touch it to the side of their beak so it wicks in and they drink it if it's required.
Thank you!!! I have nutri-drench on hand already. If I wouldn't of lost store bought babies I wouldn't probably be sooo nervous!

We have 8 hatching may 28th. My daughter is getting 2 buff Brahma's, 2 blue Andalusian. I have one silver lace cochin, one blue splash Maran, one welsummer and a surprise chick!

What a beautiful little flock! We recently got our first chicks from Coastal farm and feed and chose one Rhode island red, one Easter egger, one Ameraucana and one Blue Andalusian!

We have two Barred Rock and a buff Orp that are big girls and already laying. Chicken math. It's a serious issue :wee

Sorry for your loss to both of you. Fact of life, school of hard knocks, whatever you wish to call it it happens in this world of chickens. Shipping stress, failure to thrive, and many other things can come into play when you raise little ones. If this little one would have pulled through, you might have had problems with it later, when you were more attached. In my years on this earth, I have lost animals I became attached to, two were very devastating to me, one was a childhood dog that got hit by a car, and another 15 years ago, a Miniature Schnauzer I lost to cancer, the latter was the worst cause she was such a personality. I was a mess for a month after that. Point is, your son shouldnt blame himself as these things happen, especially with these fragile little birds we raise, and it is better it happened early on.

Sad as it is, some are weak and have problems that can’t be fixed. I had one like that and she passed away about a week after I brought her home. Some just aren’t meant to make it and it’s nobody’s fault if it passes. I’m so sorry you lost her :hugs
This is absolutely true. You just watch for early signs of failure to thrive and give them support. More often than not, they just don't make it. It's hard. I lost 4 little ones this year.

What a beautiful little flock! We recently got our first chicks from Coastal farm and feed and chose one Rhode island red, one Easter egger, one Ameraucana and one Blue Andalusian!

We have two Barred Rock and a buff Orp that are big girls and already laying. Chicken math. It's a serious issue :wee
Aww Kool choices. I currently have 3 EE, one LB, one barred rock, 2 blue rocks and 5 silkies I know all about chicken math graduated head of my class!!! :lau

Thanks guys, and yes we do thoroughly believe in teaching our kids the entire "farm life" ways, which does include losses. We already lost a duck and he watched us put down the neighbor's hen the other day. I think they're all so upset because the chick is, well, a fragile little baby!
The hatchery readily refunded me for that chick because it passed within the 48 hour mark. I appreciate their customer service. These things do happen.

I just want to ensure that I didn't miss a single thing when supplying these babes a home. It's my duty to do my best.
Didn't know electrolytes needed to continue, so I dumped the water and mixed fresh electrolytes in.
Had the Mister donate one of his shop drop lights for the babies. It's an LED so we shouldn't have to worry about off gassing light bulb issues, and the cover on one side should limit the light enough to not disturb the flock. This night light never occurred to me!
I picked up chick grit *just in case* they might be nibbling the shavings or grass clump I have in there. It's added now.

Here's the updated brooder. Note that we do have more boxes, and a "stage 2" shipping box ready to go as they grow, they won't be cramped.

Attachments

• IMG_20190524_140754129.jpg
    IMG_20190524_140754129.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom