Dying Chick

Mar 18, 2019
North Carolina
Baby easter egger, she was growing fast and perfectly healthy. Then at about 7 days old she was hopping on one foot and not using the other. Another day she lost the use of the other and both feet curled up. Then she had a hard time holding her wings up.

We asked on here for help but didn't really get much(I'm not blaming anyone, I mean even after researching a bunch we found nothing.)

She's been in our house for the past 2 days, slowly getting weaker, she was eating in drinking, past 24 hours has refused that and for a while all she did was cry and make whimpering peeps. Now she can't hold her head up and is sleeping. We are both hoping she passes in the night because she's beyond saving and we care for animals too much to simply drown her or freeze her to death as some do.

She was eating GREAT chick food full of vitamins. She was also given water with vitamin D and C as well as electrolytes. We basically tried everything.

So I guess what this thread is about is asking what this could have been? She's only 10 days old and I doubt Mareks could be the cause. Any ideas? I've never seen such a small animal struggle to say alive, needless to say we are extremely sad.

Sometimes they just don’t thrive. I would cull with sharp shears. Drowning and freezing are inhumane.

How are the other chicks behaving?
All 20 are extremely healthy/no issues at all. Growing very fast thankfully.
Yeah we can't do that. :( Anyhow shes so weak right now I'd be super surprised if she lasted another night.

No, she's literally just sleeping with wings drooped to either size. Feet are curled up as if holding a small ball in each.

Mareks is out of the question at this age right? She had mareks injections at cackle supposedly.

Marek’s usually shows up at 6-30 weeks. I don’t vaccinate for Marek’s personally since it is a leaky vaccine and actually spreads the virus more due to the chickens living with it without symptoms and causing the sander to spread for longer periods of time, potentially infecting neighboring flocks.

I took in a chick once that was with ten other chicks I was told she was dying for days. Hunched over not eating or drinking eyes closed. I asked to try to nurse her back. Did you seperate her from the rest? . I made a box with straw and a small stuffed animals she cuddled up with and water and food I’d put my hand in there holding her often. I had to give her back after a month because I had a husky I was afraid would eventually get her - the owner told me I gave back the fattest most spoiled chicken they’ve ever seen. in her case extra TLC in quarantine worked

Can you dip her beak into water? What brand is your electrolytes and vitamins? She may have a riboflavin (B2) deficiency or possibly a leg bone deformity. I would get some NutriDrench and give her a few drops. Whatever vitamins need to have riboflavin. They will not thrive if they cannot get to vitamins in the food and water, so I hope that it is not too late.

Can you dip her beak into water? What brand is your electrolytes and vitamins? She may have a riboflavin (B2) deficiency or possibly a leg bone deformity. I would get some NutriDrench and give her a few drops. Whatever vitamins need to have riboflavin. They will not thrive if they cannot get to vitamins in the food and water, so I hope that it is not too late.

BTW just a heads up for anybody trying to help: do not google “chick stretched out”

Back
Top Bottom