Dying chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melinda342, Feb 21, 2014.

1. melinda342

melinda342 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I have a chick I got from tractor supply a couple days ago who is now dying. I don't think she's sick though. Any advice on what to do?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Has she not been eating/drinking? Have you tried warm sugar water or pedialyte,have you checked her for pasty butt?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I'm not sure. We just got them late Wednesday. She seemed fine until I noticed last night she seemed a little weak. Now it's worse. She'll drink if I dip her beak in water.

4. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Keep dipping her beak in the water to ensure fluid intake every so often,check her for pasty butt. You can add a little bit of sugar to warm water,this just gives them a little boost of energy,has she been eating? How many chicks do you have and is brooder warm enough? What feed are your chicks on,what are you using on brooder floor? Do any other chicks appear ill?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    I've got 6 others. They're all doing just fine. I don't think this one will make it though. She can't stand or lift her neck. I haven't tried to feed her though. I was afraid she'll just choke on it. Can I try to feed her?

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Often they are frail and do not survive. No do not force feed her,just do the warm sugar water,see if she comes around. You can also add warm water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)most chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

Keep her warm and provide comfort,prepare yourself for her passing,when they become this frail,they usually do not survive.

7. melinda342

Mar 14, 2011
    East Texas
    Yeah. I figured. We had to separate her because she just kept getting trampled by the others. Just thought I'd try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by