Dying Chicken? Not sure what to do- graphic pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarLover21, Feb 17, 2016.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with this hen.

A couple weeks ago she had some kind of eggbound issue, or something where she was trying to lay a yolk that had been cooked inside of her? I removed most of it, but couldn't really clean it up entirely.Here is a picture of what she looked like then:

This is what I removed, and what she looked like afterwards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I eventually just let her out into the yard like that, because I didn't know what else to do, where's she's been for the past couple weeks. I don't know if it's just some sort of weird build up from all the poop, but she now is having problems again and is extremely lethargic and just laying on the ground. Here's what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea what this is. It looks likes she's laying her intestines or something, I really have no idea what's going on or what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry! Looks like she has a prolapsed infected and necrotic repro-tract. Would be best to get her to a vet or euthanize her.

-Kathy

3. Peepsicle

Peepsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Cali
    Get her put down fast. She's suffering.

4. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2. Only other thing I could think of would have been an injury. Perhaps a vet can try a surgery to get these back in? A long shot, and quite expensive for a not so pricey animal, but worth a shot if you have the means. Right now it's probably best to keep her internal organs clean, so infection doesn't set in, maybe inside. Keeping your hen in my thoughts.

Regards,
    Leaf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by