1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dying chicken passing masses.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinknblackchaos, Aug 19, 2018.

1. pinknblackchaos

pinknblackchaos Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Michigan
    20180819_163505.jpg I have an old girl that started doing badly about 5 days ago. She isnt eating or drinking and i dont know what the problem is. The only thing i know she probably had was gleet. But she is passing these masses they are white and range in size from old chewed gum to a chicken nugget. I think it is too late for her but am wondering what it could be.

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    It looks to me like Lash Egg. I’m so sorry about your hen!!! :hugs

3. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    I'm thinking lash eggs or maybe cooked yolks that never formed full eggs.

[email protected] likes this.
  4. pinknblackchaos

pinknblackchaos Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Michigan
    I was thinking lash egg. I've never seen anything like it!

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. pinknblackchaos

pinknblackchaos Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Michigan
    Thanks chick n fun she was a good girl. :hit

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    I too am sorry for your girl it's so hard when they're a pet and friend and there's nothing more you can do to help them.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  7. pinknblackchaos

pinknblackchaos Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Michigan
    Thank you chickendreams. It is hard she was a good girl and didn't deserve to suffer. We buried her today. She isn't suffering anymore.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved hen. Bear hugs!!! :hugs

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    How old was she?

Production breeds(Isa browns, golden comet, cinnamon queens etc) are extremely prone to laying problems and are usually swapped out commercially between 18-24 months as they tend to quickly lay less and less and become more prone to production problems in that time frame and especially beyond it. If during winter you supplement their light to induce laying they don't get the natural rest period they are made to have and that also increases the chances of laying problems. Laying problems are effected by many things though for example; breed, genetics, feed/diet, artificial daylight, weight(overweight birds tend to have more trouble). Etc.

If you are wanting pet birds that will live longer I would suggest a heritage breed especially if you can find a none hatchery strain. Although in my own opinion hatchery heritage birds are better than production birds. There are always exceptions to every rule and I know some people have been able to keep production hens for years and had problems with hatchery heritage breeds.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: