Dying chicken with breathing problem.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brandi86, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Brandi86

Brandi86 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    I went out to my coop last night and found one of me hens sick with her eyes closed. Today she is much worse, she is having breathing problems and is near death. I don't know what the problem could be, before last night she seemed perfectly fine.

She will be the third chicken I have had die in the past month. One rooster had similar symptoms, but he died slower over several days, another hen I found dead under a tree, just like this hen, she appeared fine before she died. I don't know what they are dying from or if they are dying from the same thing or not. It's only been two weeks since my last chicken died.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I am so sorry for your losses.

My gut feeling is they are getting into something toxic or poisonous.

Are you seeing any breathing issues, bubbly eyes, or snotty beaks? Just... one day they're fine, then the next day they're dead?

If your poor mama passes, I would wrap her in plastic bags, put her in the fridge, and contact my local vet for information on where to send birds for a necropsy. Your local USDA office usually performs them for free, but you're responsible for shipping charges.

If you can't locate any peeling lead paint, herbicide, pesticide, Styrofoam, or something like that they are getting into, I'd have a necropsy done to determine what's going on.

I'd also check them over for spider or snake bites. You never know.

Again, very sorry for your losses. :(

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  3. Brandi86

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks for the help. They are free range and could be getting into something that's causing this problem. I've got a coop I'm about to move them into, so if they are getting into something that should stop it.

I have roosters in a coop and none of them have had any problem so far, only the free range chickens have had any problems.

I have noticed she has breathing problems, but no snotty beak or bubbles in eyes.

She keeps one of her eyes partly closed, like she can't keep it open all the way.

4. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Breathing problems lead me to think it may be respratory. There are bacterial and viral respratory diseases that are very contagious. I am battling this now and had to cull one girl. Trying to save one currently but not having a lot of luck. When you say breathing problems what exactly does that look like?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Look up ILT Virus in Chickens....Can be fatal or controlled to a degree ...My Birds have it...Not fun..Chickens carry lots of diseases..Some kill them other make them carriers for life..If your birds are in a city set up? The chances of other people having Chickens in close proximity of your birds is high...Disease spreads quickly in Chickens...

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    A necropsy would be a good idea since you have had 3 die within a month.
    As @MrsBrooke has advised, look for any molds, toxins, poisons, anything rotten, etc. Some of these can present with respiratory symptoms.

In the mean time, if you have a clean run/housing that you know is free of toxins/molds to keep them in, that may help you discover if it is something in the environment they are getting into while free range or if it is a respiratory illness.

Here's more info on labs you can send them to or as suggested, contact your vet or county Ag Extension office.
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

7. Brandi86

Jun 18, 2014
    She had her beak open most of the time with labored breathing. I could really tell she was struggling to breath.

8. Brandi86

Jun 18, 2014
    I have never heard of ILT virus, I will check it out. I do not live in the city, I live way out in the county, but people who live close by have chickens.

9. Brandi86

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks for the links. I will see if I can get a necropsy done. She died yesterday morning, how long after a chicken dies can you send if off or a necropsy?

I am still in the process of moving them from the older coop into the newer coop. The newer coop is better ventilated with more air flow, hopefully this will solve the problem.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm not sure of the timeline, but if the body is refrigerated, then it will be ok for a few days before you send it.

Kathy (@casportpony ) made a thread to show how to package.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by