Dying chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KansasKid, May 19, 2011.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Neighbor has a chicken that is dying. Don't know what from, need to know if there is anything we can do to help it or if we should just cull it.

Approximately 21 days ago i went over and noticed this hen squat, walking slow, and looked like she was dragging her bottom. Tail feathers were untidy and vent wasn't that clean, i looked it over and there were no open wounds, but mites and she was skinny with a noticeable breast bone. I wormed her and 7-dusted her as a double dose for the mites and any possible internal parasites. There is a slight possibility of internal damage from a dog but i can't feel any broke bones so it would have to be soft tissue. No blood in stool. Apparently lately the hen has gotten where she can't/won't stand to eat or drink or pass bodily fluids. Her breast bone has become even more prominent and color has slowly depleted from her face/comb. When you pick her up and place her in front of the water she will drink, i haven't been over there long enough to watch her eat though. Any clue as to what this might be to possibly treat it or keep it from spreading to the rest of her or even my flock? The bird is in "quarantine" at the moment.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Have you felt her abdomen and checked for eggs inside? When did she last lay?

3. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I didn't feel her abdomen, but if she was egg bound she wouldn't be able to pass feces/bodily fluids would she?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    It is my understanding (but I have no personal experience with it) that hens can continue to pass feces even while eggbound. She might also be an internal layer.

5. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    hmm... that could explain the lethargy but why is she so emaciated?

6. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Emaciation comes up as a common symptom with laying problems when I did a search on here. I think regardless of the specific diagnosis the suggested method of confirming and treating are pretty similar... good luck!

7. citychickenfarm

citychickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    When she was with the other chickens did she prefer to be alone? Are her feathers all ruffled?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by