dying Chickens a Mystery? need your opions please.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by judy101, Feb 14, 2014.

1. judy101

judy101 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    This may be long but please read, I would like any and all input. I had 2 chickens and 1 rooster that are almost 8 years old, One became ill and I thought it might be due to old age, she lost her body weight and got real weak. I got her antibiotics, and probiotics, and electrolyes. she got worse and died, time from weight lost to death, approx 4 weeks. then my rooster became ill, same symtoms, extreme weight lost but no loss of appetite,until the end. took him to vet got almost everything and anything you can think of in the way of meds, although he really didnt know what was wrong. he died, 1 hen left, same symtoms, feather weight could blow away, eating like crazy and dropping to nothing. used meds I had left from rooster but when one more step and wormed her with ivermectin, she snapped out of it and gained all her weight and then some. none of these chickens had any sign of cold, since she made it I went and got a young rooster, wormed him when he got to the place as he seems thiner than I like had him 4 months then the same symtoms hit him, extreme weight loss, staggering and weak.I wormed him, got him took him to the vet got him meds, his comb was pale and his face yellowish, he never stopped trying to survive and he never stopped eating like the other two, other than that same old thing, I guess I had a disease of some sort at my place, Im left with one lonesome chicken I dont dare bring anything else there to die. does anyone have any ideals at all ? could it be some kind of worm the meds are not getting, I have wazine and ivermetic, My heart is broken as there were just my pets and Mr Brown who died last night was such a baby he set in my lap all the time. I cant imagine how this old hen snapped out of it, the others had the same meds she did and died.please give me your thoughts whatever they may be. this vet tries but hes not an avian vet, I dont think we have an avian vet in this state.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My sole observation is that 8 years is rather old for a chicken.

Chris

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Necropsy by your state vet might determine what disease you are experiencing.
    What state do you live in? There are state threads on BYC that might help you find the kind of vet you need.
    Maybe post this in the Disease forum.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I'm sorry for your continued loss.

What you describe sounds a lot like a parasite.

Is the birds food or water exposed where wild birds can get to them? Wild birds carry parasites & often contaminate water & food.

It is a good practice to worm your birds 2x per year. Usually first thing in the spring and again late summer.

Hope this helps.

5. judy101

judy101 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I too think its some sort of worm Im not getting, from My internet research im thinking Gape worms. we used ivermectin and wazine, please recommend a wormer thats safe and works for all worms

6. judy101

judy101 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I want to thank you for that information, I made an appointment for a necropsy on my Rooster however I had laid the body outside in a towel, but when I got home there wasnt enough left for them to do a necropsy, How stupid of me to not put his body in a box or something, I was running late to work and still very upset over his loss. but I did find a place and if I lose another I will certainly go there.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You'd need to put a dead chicken in the refrigerator, not the freezer, to preserve it for necropsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by