Dying chickens possibly Coccidiosis?

my3jsons

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
Oklahoma
We lost a chicken last week and now have another one dying.

They look like they are very weak and just lay there. It took the first one almost a full day to die. They aren't limp but they don't want to move. The chickens are around 3 to 3 1/2 years old and are New Hampshire reds. I purchased them from a local feed store. We have 10 other chickens and have not introduced any new animals or chickens from outside our own farm so nothing else would have brought in disease. However, we have had a raccoon getting into their food for a few nights until we realized what was going on and moved their feed inside at night.

Back to the two chickens, they molted a few months ago. Their eyes are half open, they are lethargic and their combs are darkening reddish gray. I thought the first one probably had egg impaction but now with this second one I'm not sure what it might be. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Redfarmhousegal

Last edited:
Well, have they been dewormed and have you checked for mites? How is their poop? Just start going through the list of external things and rule them out and then it is possible that it is an egg laying thing or something else disease wise. I have had a NHR die at the same age and for no apparent reason. If this other hen doesn't make it, and if you can handle it, do an autopsy and see if there is an egg laying problem. You can do supportive measures like heat and electrolytes/ vitamins, yummy treats to try and encourage eating.....
Let's hope for the best.

We've never dewormed our chickens... what do you use to deworm chickens? No signs of mites and they all look and act healthy. I just went out this morning to let them out and found this second one. We have a son that is studying animal reproduction in college and he has no problem doing autopsies. Thank you so much for your advice and I look forward to your reply on the deworming.

Okay, I've been thinking about it and wondered if anyone has information on Coccidiosis in chickens? What are the symptoms and how a chicken or chickens might be treated? Also, if treated how long should we wait before eating the eggs again? We have had problems with cocci on our farm before.

Okay, I've been thinking about it and wondered if anyone has information on Coccidiosis in chickens?  What are the symptoms and how a chicken or chickens might be treated?  Also, if treated how long should we wait before eating the eggs again?  We have had problems with cocci on our farm before.
you should use CORID for cocci. it kills all 9strains of cocci while others only kill some strains! i urge you to get the Corid!Please lookUp cocci in chickens. remember the bloody poo is not always present, in the beginning. and if you had trouble with cocci before it likely could be again.Possiable that the ground is carring a higer concentration of it. the corid will save your bird. other meds Only kill some strains but corid kills them all. best of luck!

i think the withdrawal period is 14days, not positive. you might check the corid web site. symptoms are letheregy, tired, weak, food withdrawal, bloody poo at the End Or with certain strains.

Unless these birds are new to your property I don't know if I'd suspect cocci right off the bat. Although it's possible, especially if they have underlying health problems that have weakened their immunity.

At this age, if none of these birds have ever been dewormed, I'd be doing that right away. Chickens do get worms, no two ways around it, and a heavy load of parasites certainly can weaken and kill them.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's going on here, it could be a lot of things. They are also at an age where it's common for hen's to start having reproductive tract/egg laying issues. But you need a place to start and I think I'd start by deworming them. If you are concerned about cocci you can treat them for that first. It certainly can't hurt.

I dont believe it's cocci, 3 year old chickens have built resistance/immunity to it by that age. Most likely it's internal parasites. I recommend worming with either Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage for either wormer is 1/2cc given orally undiluted. Repeat dosing again in 10 days. Worm all your birds.

Back
Top Bottom