dying chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elliemay06, Sep 6, 2009.

1. elliemay06

elliemay06 New Egg

Aug 25, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    So far i have lost 1 ilie rooster, 1 polish rooster and a silkie hen. My others seem fine including buffs, rir, barred, and milles. Silkie rooster had congestion and died within 6 hours. other 2 would not eat and wasted away. both about 9 months old. silkie rooster 2 years. I put teteracycline in the water and am on 3 rd day of doing so...

Should i quit now. How long before i can assume this is over if noothers get sick???????????????????? PLEASE HELP

2. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    "2 would not eat and wasted away" I had the same problem with one of my chickens as well. I tried many different things and a lot of help from BYC...unfortunaely, she had to be culled [​IMG] I have no idea what she had [​IMG] But, as soon as she became sick, she was isolated.

So far so good, none of the others seem to be ill [​IMG]

Hope your flock makes it out okay...I would just make sure to isolate at the first indication something is wrong.

3. elliemay06

elliemay06 New Egg

Aug 25, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I did quarantine them, but this is so frustrating. How can you fix it if you don't have any idea what is wrong. How do you know it is going to start up again?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by