dying chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hdowden, Oct 21, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok you see lil chicks dyed different colors for the easter holiday but what is used to dye them that wont hurt them?

*oh yea it doesnt hurt them or it wouldnt be done in the first place just like painting your cat/dog/horse/cow/ect that people pay 1000's to do, depending on the design, just want to know whats used on them.

**if you are affended by the thought of dying an animal then dont reply please...think we dye our own hairs

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Somewhere I read where the dye they use (or used) is a food safe coloring. You have to use something non-toxic since the animal will groom themselves, thus ingesting the dye.

Also take note, in some areas coloring up an animal like that is illegal.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i know the farm supply people around here in town used to to do it i have been gone for awhile thus idk. wasnt planing on doing it until i found out and as long as the chicken didnt mind it. if it tries to get away hey it doesnt want it thus it wont be done. i dont have white chickens any way right now they just look pretty.

i know its a hot topic thus thats why i posted what i did i really dont want rude comments and arguments

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    as far as I know it is illegal to sell dyed chicks. It is not illegal to dye your own. There is an animal safe dye. The girl who dyed hers pink for a wedding used it, with her vet's help, if I'm not mistaken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by