dying chicks-one every day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by in2chickens, May 1, 2009.

1. in2chickens

in2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    [​IMG] This is my first time. I got nine chicks a few days ago and have lost one every day. The chicks are two weeks old now. I have the temp at 90. I have call the lady I got the chicks from after loosing 2 and she said that she is having a problem too. The day after I picked mine up she had 4 dead the next morning. She said that she had started her's on Sulmet and suggested that I do the same. I started mine on the Sulmet two days ago and have since lost 2 more. The chicks are not very spunky. If they are not up to eat they just stand around and sleep. I NEED HELP! I have no idea what I'm doing and I do not want to loose any more. Suggestions please.

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    My first reaction is maybe they are too hot. But after having read the post again, my second guess is that there may be a virus or something.

I'd definitely give them electrolytes in their water to help perk them up and maybe consider getting something like poly-vi-sol (human infant vitamin drops), too.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I had a recent problem with some chicks I got, but it only lasted a few days.

I know how sad it is when you have to watch your very first chicks die....
    It probably isnt something you are doing wrong...
    Vitamins and Electrolytes are probably the best thing you can do.
    Maybe if you gave some more symptoms people could help you out more.

Good Luck!

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I wonder if soaking their feed with a bit of warm water(or a mix of warmed electrolyte and vitamins) would help them to eat a little and gain some energy? I hope it wasn't a batch of bad food. Maybe try a small bag of the Purina Sunfresh chick starter? I made a mash for my bantams the first couple days and they gobbled it down. I dipped their beak in it and after they sort of licked it off themselves they dove right in. I am not saying it Will work, but it couldn't hurt, eh? I am really REALLY sorry you are having to go through this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they are too hot as well. Are they inside or outside? What watt light are you using? Is the brooder big enough for them to get away from the light? Are they all laying as far away from the light as possible? What does their poops look like? Any blood?

6. NotTheMomma

Do they have clean butts or is poop stuck on it? They'll die quickly from pasty butt as well!

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Are you feeding the same feed that the previous owner is feeding ?

Try feeding them some scrambled eggs and using electrolytes in their water.

And I agree, they sound like they are too hot . . . .

If the scrambled eggs and electrolytes in the water perk them up, then you probably do have bad feed.

8. in2chickens

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Ok so here is more information that might help. The chicks are eating and drinking very well. Every time I go to check on them they will be sleeping, once I get them stirred up they will eat and drink, escpecially when I add a little food and give fresh water. After I in there with them say up to 5 minuetes back to sleep they are.
    At other times, with out being in the room 24/7, I dont hear much activity coming from in there. I can hear when they are awake. There is minimal movement when I am watching them. Since, I am new, they just do seam very spunky. I read about other chicks and the comments that they have so much energy. I definatly would say that my chicks do not have energy, they act like they are sick.
    What do I give them that is an electorlyte, I'm sure you guy's are not recommending Gatoraide.
    The Sulmet that I'm giving them is for a bactiria problem. Any comments on this stuff from any one? does it work?

9. NotTheMomma

No to giving antibiotics uinles syou know there is an infection. At this point, you don't.

Is there blood in the ppoop? Diarrhea or formed poop?

10. in2chickens

Apr 24, 2009
    Norco, CA
    No they do not lay far away from the light. Yes, I am feeding the same as the lady I got them from. And I have never heard of Patsy butt and they do have poop stuck on thier butts, I will go right now and get it off. No blood in the poop, poop looks good, not runny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by