Dying chicks! Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FreeRangeSpirit, Mar 10, 2014.

1. FreeRangeSpirit

FreeRangeSpirit Out Of The Brooder

On Sunday my chicks arrived, 45 of them. Yesterday two died and two more died today. They were not trampled, the light was close so they were warm, they have food and water mixed with quick-chick. This morning I checked on them and the 2 were lying on the ground like they were asleep, but when I poked them they did not react and are now dead.
    Dead:
    2 salmon faverolles hens
    1 phoenix hen
    1 little brown hen (wesummer or speckled sussex)

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are they being brooded? What wattage and kind of lamp is on them? What bedding do you have them under? Where did you get them? Any other details will help!

1 person likes this.
  3. FreeRangeSpirit

I got them from MurrayMcmurray hatchery and they said they will refund I am just trying to prevent this from happening again. They are being brooded in our shop in the corner. Before we moved here about 2 years ago there were cats in there and poop every where. We ceaned it out the best we could and put pine bedding. The light is 250w.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could be more helpful [​IMG] It sounds like you are doing everything right, and that the reason they are dying is just due to shipping stress. They may have gotten chilled during shipping and never recovered. I use poultry nutri-drench for my babies when they've had a cold/rough journey and it seems to get them perked up, but I think quick-chick is essentially the same thing. I sometimes mix a little ACV (1T per gallon) or yogurt into the water for the first few days as well.

Have you dipped their beaks in the water to make sure they know where to find it? Also make sure to cover the bedding with paper towels, burlap, or something similar (not newspaper as it is too slippery) for the first few days and sprinkle food over it so they can find the food. Other than that, not too sure. I hope the rest of your babies are okay!

5. FreeRangeSpirit

Yep, I did all that. Thank you for your help!

6. FreeRangeSpirit

Please if you are still their, look at my new post called Dying chicks!!! in emergencies diseases and cures. It is way worse!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by