Dying chicks

KyKyMarie77

Songster
Dec 5, 2020
Hello! We had a rooster that recently passed but before he did, he fertilized some of our broody hens eggs and we ended up having 5 of his legacy chicks hatch. It has been a month since that happened and in the past two days 4/5 of them have died. They have plenty of food and water and have been doing extremely good so far, but now they are suddenly passing. We are down to one now and obviously with his dad passing it means a lot that this little one makes it. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on, I’ve raised many many chicks and never had a problem with them passing(minus the genetically defected PC’s) I have a few theories of what could’ve possibly happened but I wanted some input and/or advice.

Have you been checking if they are pooping? Are they eating and drinking? Do you have a heat source? What are they eating? What kind of bedding do they have?

Yea
Have you been checking if they are pooping? Are they eating and drinking? Do you have a heat source? What are they eating? What kind of bedding do they have?
Yes they have been pooping, I’ve also been checking for pasty butt and they were all clear. They have been eating and drinking as well. They are in an enclosure in the barn were it’s pretty warm, so we have been using the mother as a heat source, but also a heat lamp on one side only for when it gets too hot. They are eating a chick medicated starter food, it’s what they’ve been eating for the full month without any problems, and it is mold free as well. And they are on pine bedding.

Yea

Yes they have been pooping, I’ve also been checking for pasty butt and they were all clear. They have been eating and drinking as well. They are in an enclosure in the barn were it’s pretty warm, so we have been using the mother as a heat source, but also a heat lamp on one side only for when it gets too hot. They are eating a chick medicated starter food, it’s what they’ve been eating for the full month without any problems, and it is mold free as well. And they are on pine bedding.
Remove the heat lamp. If the chick has it's mother it doesn't need the lamp and you can overheat mom.
Regardless of the medicated starter I would start the last chick and mom on Corid and treat for coccidiosis.
I would directly drench the chick with undiluted Corid by placing a drop at the corner of it's beak and letting it wick in so he/she can drink it. Give the chick 3 or 4 drops twice a day for 3 days in addition to having only Corid water available for drinking.
Follow the instructions on the bottle for dilution for a severe outbreak.
Keep the brooder clean and dry with as much fresh air as possible.

Update: I completely forgot to update this because I’ve been very busy with school and chickens, but Thunderbird is doing very good! Her mom just had more chicks(that she stole from other hens) and she has been going in with her mom and the babies. I’m assuming it’s because she was a single chick, but her mom is very protective of her and treats her like a baby chick still. While she was incubating these eggs that just hatched yesterday and today, thunder would jump on her back and just lay on her mom while she was laying on eggs. Hers some pictures of her! The one is her when she was younger, and the others are from recent, unfortunately she’s hecka fast so it’s nearly impossible to get any photos of her🙄

Attachments

• E9D6C8C7-9EA1-4C0B-B4BB-235CFA151BD4.jpeg
    E9D6C8C7-9EA1-4C0B-B4BB-235CFA151BD4.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 399CFD70-2F0E-4521-84BA-38800581780B.jpeg
    399CFD70-2F0E-4521-84BA-38800581780B.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 5
  • D639CF6A-F9E5-4313-A8EC-2A1F3D55947E.jpeg
    D639CF6A-F9E5-4313-A8EC-2A1F3D55947E.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom