Dying chicks

cece_chickens

Songster
Apr 26, 2022
✨Michigan✨
I’ve lost 3 chicks already and I don’t know what’s going on. The first one kept rolling around and eventually died. The second one did the same thing. Now this morning I went out and found a 3rd chick dead. It wasn’t showing any signs of sickness and I don’t know what’s going on. Please help!

I'm so sorry! I have no insights, but I'm sure someone on BYC will be able to help. They will need some more info though. What does your brooder set up look like - pictures would be best. What kind of food do you use? How old are your chicks? Were they shipped or bought locally? What is your heat source? If you have any other information that you think might be helpful, feel free to add that too.

Do you have the chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp or other heat source? What is the temperature with a thermometer on the floor? Do they have a cooler spot to get to away from the heat? Were these shipped chicks, feed store chicks, or did you hatch them?

Do you have the chicks in a brooder with a heat lamp or other heat source? What is the temperature with a thermometer on the floor? Do they have a cooler spot to get to away from the heat? Were these shipped chicks, feed store chicks, or did you hatch them?
They are in a brooder with a two heat lamps. If they get to hot they move away a bit. I have two heat lamps so if one goes out I have a back up one just in case. They were shipped. The weird thing is I got them almost last week and now it died. I figured they would have died sooner since they were shipped

I'm so sorry! I have no insights, but I'm sure someone on BYC will be able to help. They will need some more info though. What does your brooder set up look like - pictures would be best. What kind of food do you use? How old are your chicks? Were they shipped or bought locally? What is your heat source? If you have any other information that you think might be helpful, feel free to add that too.
When I ordered them I got them vaccinated. I wasn’t home at the time so my mom put them in with the medicated food which nullified their vaccines. I changed the feed to non medicated and that’s what they have been eating for a while. Idk if that may have caused an issue but I figured it’s important to share just in case.

I’ve lost 3 chicks already and I don’t know what’s going on. The first one kept rolling around and eventually died. The second one did the same thing. Now this morning I went out and found a 3rd chick dead. It wasn’t showing any signs of sickness and I don’t know what’s going on. Please help!
I commented on your other post
2 heat lamps is way to much heat
At a week old they should be at 80-85 you drop 5 degrees each week and many birds are good at 85-90 week one then 80-85 week 2 ect.
Your picture is showing them in a corner trying to get away from the heat
I would turn 1 off
Lift the other one a bit and take out the divider. This way they can get to the other side of the brooder where there is no heat

Back
Top Bottom