dying chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hunterblu123, Nov 5, 2010.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    We get 150 chicks Wednesday. They are mostly Cornish rock pullets some BR roo's and BO roo's. So far we have lost 5 and there is another 6 that will soon of the Cornish rocks. We have 2 heat lamps on them there is no draft. Its not to hot in there and they are not hanging out under the light like they are cold. I know you will loose some but this is a lot (I think) They come from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries. The ill one's don't want to move around and not eating or drinking. I have them in a box under the light so they are not with the healthy one's.

Any thoughts?

2. Lily Dean

Lily Dean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    My order from mount healthy was 50 cornish rock and within the first 10 days we lost 10 total for what seemed to be no apparent reason. They originally seemed healthy and then just were dead when we went out there to check on them. I think they expect it to be normal to have some losses when you raise large amounts of babies.

Lily

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The stress of being shipped is extremely stressful to the newly hatched chicks. The weaker ones dies off.
    Of the 25 I ordered 13 passed in the first 2 days. The remaining chicks I have are doing very well and getting bigger.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say contact the hatchery, granted its not their "fault" but perhaps they had a poor hatch and not only you had chicks die. That is expensive and just a miserable feeling to have that many birds die.
    Did you give each one a drink or place marbles in the water dish- I realize its near impossible to dip all beaks in water when dealing with that many birds, but at least the marbles get them pecking at the food and water. Just a suggestion.
    I hope you can come up with a reason other then travel stress!
    Good luck and so sorry to hear of your hardships.

5. hunterblu123

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    No I did not dip them in the food and water b/c when I put them in the box they ran up to the food & water with no problems. I know it happens just not what you want to happen.

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    You're in Ohio? I do believe there are several hatcheries in and around Ohio. You, unlike many of us, have the luxury of ordering from a local Hatchery and/or breeder [​IMG]

7. hunterblu123

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    Quote:Yes. I'm only 25 min my Mt. Healthy Hatcheries. It's nice b/c I can drive and pick them up. We lost the 6 that I separated last night plus one. They are all the cornish rocks. Do they stress more than the other chicks?

8. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Last year I order chicks and 3 out of 36 died within the first 48 hours. I have a friend who's a vet and she assured me that it is to be expected to loose about 10% if they are shipped to you. This year I was fortunate and didn't loose any out of 30! I am very sorry for you loss. I would definately call the hatchery. They will credit you for the chicks if they died in the first 48 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by