Dying Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbdal, Feb 12, 2013.

1. bbdal

bbdal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    Alabama
    We have had our chicks now for a little over a week. When we got them, some were 1 week old and some were 3 days old. We got 15 rir and 3 bantam frizzles. So, now they are 2 weeks 2 days and that rest are 1 week 5 days old. We have them all in a rabbit pen together (half wooden box, half cage). The older ones are VERY active in there but most of the little ones can hold their own. However, yesterday morning, my husband found one of the young ones dead in there. He found another one dead this morning. There is a 3rd one that is not looking so good. It just sleeps right under the heat. I tried moving it to food and water this morning, but the older ones were just running all over it so it went back to under the heat lamp. What could be causing these younger ones to not do so well? The rest other than this one look really healthy and active, even the other younger ones and the bantams. Should we separate this one out? Should we be concerned about disease or is this fairly common with chicks? I have read that when raising baby chicks, it is not uncommon to lose a few. It is just sad and disheartening and then you worry if something is wrong with it that will spread to the others. We have a large hen house ready for them, so it may be that we move them into it sooner that we thought, so that these older ones can play and not run all over the smaller ones, and just not let them out in the run yet.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

week old chicks need temperate of about 99 deg feren the older ones need less heat it sounds like they dying from chill i lost my first chick that way the its not cool check ur temp is constant all the time and at the right temp,good luck

3. bbdal

Jan 31, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm not sure if it is the temp because they have a red heat lamp (300w) close to one side of the cage and they are in an insulated room in the barn with a heater also. The other small/young ones are doing fine. So, what would cause some to do fine and some not to? The 3 that have been sickly looking (2 of which have died) have been lethargic looking, with drooping wings, but not paralysis like what I have read about Marek's. They will actually pull their wings up, but they are pretty much doing nothing but standing in the heat, sleeping. Thanks!

4. samas

samas Out Of The Brooder

i currently have a 60 watt red heat lamp connected to a dimmer switch to concrol the heat and its about 5 inches from the bottom and i have to adjust it to half way to get my temp to 100deg ferenheit other than that it could be something worse best luck and lets hope someone comes along with a resolution

5. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Could it be the older ones are killing them?

6. bbdal

Jan 31, 2013
    Alabama
    I posted a little bit ago but for some reason it is not showing up. Stone family, you may be right. We separated them tonight and hope that helps. Thanks!

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hopefully it works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by