Dying chicks.

Shenanigans80

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Grays Harbor County
I am pretty new still to raising chickens. I found a local lady that we have been getting our birds from. We started off with 6 turkeys, 2 died. No big deal, it happens. We started getting chicks from the feed store. No problems with those chicks really. We went back to our bird lady and got 6 chicks. We have done nothing different with the chicks from our local lady than we did with the chicks from the feed store. 4 of the 6 chicks died at different times. They were replaced. So we were back up to 6 again. Now, 4 more have died. I'm very discouraged. I know a couple of them had pasty butt and we were taking care of that. Since they were all days to a week old, we had them on medicated food. I also tried some ACV in the water and before that had tried some probiotic mix for their water that the feed store recomended.

I'm not sure what, if anything, we are doing wrong. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Hi

I think you need to put more information about:

How are the chicks housed?

Do they have a heat source; if they do then what is it?

Are they indoors or outdoors?

Do they have access to outdoors?

Are there any behavioral changes before death?

I hope someone can help you, but they will need that information.
Sorry about your chicks
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I would agree about needing more information. Housing especially. Cleaning of the equipment they are using between the different groups is very important too. I Hope you find some answers here and are not discouraged. Once you have everything right and some healthy little ones...it will be totally worth all the effort.

Cool article flockwatcher, I read it because I have 3 one day old Pekin Bantam chicks I hatched out of 4 eggs. Cheers for the info!

I am pretty new still to raising chickens. I found a local lady that we have been getting our birds from. We started off with 6 turkeys, 2 died. No big deal, it happens. We started getting chicks from the feed store. No problems with those chicks really. We went back to our bird lady and got 6 chicks. We have done nothing different with the chicks from our local lady than we did with the chicks from the feed store. 4 of the 6 chicks died at different times. They were replaced. So we were back up to 6 again. Now, 4 more have died. I'm very discouraged. I know a couple of them had pasty butt and we were taking care of that. Since they were all days to a week old, we had them on medicated food. I also tried some ACV in the water and before that had tried some probiotic mix for their water that the feed store recomended.

I'm not sure what, if anything, we are doing wrong. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!
Just to make sure I read that right: NONE of the feed store chicks have died? Only the chicks from the "breeder"? Personally I'd quit getting chicks from her .
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom