dying chicks

pagaleggs

Chirping
Jan 20, 2014
My hen hatched 3 chicks and all were doing fine..they are about 1 month old.. then 1 died, another died a few days later. They were not acting or looking sick until the day before. They became weak, not their normal self, but did eat and drink. I have 1 chick left and don't want anything to happen to it. Anyone have any insight to what could have happened?

If it is a choice for you, bring the mom and the chick inside into a crate and keep a closer eye there. I am not sure where you live, but if temperature is an issue in your area, it may be why you are losing chicks.

There can be numerous reasons for that. One thing that crossed my mind. Chicks need starter feed . I am pretty sure that you gave them that. They don't need grit to digest that, nether do battery hens on crumbles feed. But it is good to provide regardless. Now your chicks are a month old and they may eat scratch and grains. If they don't have access to grit, naturally or supplemented, I would think it could cause digestive issues. I KNOW YOU ARE TRYING TO DO EVERYTHING BEST YOU CAN. This is just a thought and possibility. WISHING YOU BEST.
sad.png
ALWAYS SAD TO LOOSE CHICKS.

Back
Top Bottom