Dying Coturnix Quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bobchicken93, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bobchicken93

Bobchicken93 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have 2 female Coturnix quails and l am wondering if you can dye them. Can you wash them in food colouring of use a toothbrush/paint brush to put the food colouring on the bird? I know you can do it with most chickens but I have only had quails for about 6 months and do not know a lot about them. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Afterfeather

Afterfeather Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    England
    I've used a paintbrush to put a little food colouring on both chick and adult Coturnix without a problem. I'd imagine as long as its warm enough for them to dry then they'll be fine.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Just don't use red.

4. CheerfulChirp

CheerfulChirp Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    UK
    mmm....I'd make it a large patch and not a small spot, and I wouldn't put dye anywhere peck-sensitive like on the head or near the vent or the ends of the wings. Curious flock-mates will try and helpfully 'remove' it for them. I have a Tibetan/British Range tux with white feathers over her eyes like eyebrows, and she gets many a well-intentioned peck from the others. When she ducks, they get her eyes. [​IMG] They also try and remove my moles, and they're faint, a natural-looking brown, and flat.

If you try it, let me know how you get on. I vent-sexed my chicks and by the time I came to separate them I'd forgotten which ones were which [​IMG]. If food coloring works for you, I'll probably use it myself on my next hatch.

5. Bobchicken93

Bobchicken93 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok thanks for your help[​IMG] I will consider trying to dye them. If I do I will let you know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by